Exclamation Ouch... There goes my back!!!

I finally got the chance to get my ski down to Islamorada this weekend, and was really looking forward to cruising the clear calm waters of the Keys. The looming clouds should have been a warning as to how crappy my day would become. I launched at the Indian Key ramp which is not a great ramp unless you own a 4X4, but somehow my Honda Civic did the job. Anyhow, after a lousy 20 minute solo run in the rain, I decided that it was no fun and backed the trailer down to the water. I had beached my ski just enough to keep it from drifting, and lifted it to keep from scuffing the bottom. Apparently my back was no match for an 800 lb. waverunner, and I felt a pain in my back like none I had ever known. Thankfully, a nearby kayaker witnessed evertything and helped me to get my ski back on the trailer. I've been taking Motrin, muscle relaxers and icing it down. Anyone have a similar experience?

If it's just a muscle spasm, this exercise works.

Lay on your back...bring one knee as high to your chest as possible...without lowering it and keeping your back flat on the floor...move it to the side...left knee goes left, when you've about got it to the floor let it go to normal...then do the other leg the same way...a half dozen times apiece will help.

Hopefully you don't have a herniated disc.

Once or twice a year I have problems with my back like that. I used to have inversion boots and would hang upside down in a doorway to decompress the spine. Worked wonders. Now I just use heat and strech. Good luck with it.

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandtime View Post
    unless you own a 4X4, but somehow my Honda Civic did the job.

Wow.

That's not even classified as a ramp. It's a rocky shore with potholes my Mini fits in.

Mad props on launching with a Civic. I had to drive away and do it with a borrowed F-150.

As for the back, these guys have the right idea. I'll just add to rest it, too. Don't be lifting heavy shit for the next week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by CleanSC View Post

Wow.

That's not even classified as a ramp. It's a rocky shore with potholes my Mini fits in.

Mad props on launching with a Civic. I had to drive away and do it with a borrowed F-150.
    You're so right! So where do you guys launch from down there?

we usually launch at whatever hotel we stay at...If youre not staying then they charge 10-20 bucks....Most hotels have private ramps....
    How your back doing today?

Obsessive Compulsive ;)
    +1
    Those of us that didn't stay at hotels and just drove straight in used that exact ramp. It's free and plenty of space to party. That was the site of the huge Keys meet in January and future ones to come.

My back still hurts like hell, but I visited the doctor who wrote me a few prescriptions. Fortunately, I think it is mostly strain and sprain. I've definitely learned my lesson the hard way.

I launch at Harry Harris Park, mm93 sometimes. The charge for out of county residents on weekends, think it's $10 or $20 and is limited to 20 boats. Only has been at capacity the last few weekends. Take those scripts and have a beer, feel better.

a lot of free ramps down here in lower keys. I use Bahia Honda. Cost some money but man o man what a pretty ramp.

Thread Information