Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking Here is another Pro785 addict

Hey Everyone,

I joined this forum a while ago but now am back into it and decided to write a proper introduction. I am a owner of a 97 Polaris Pro 785. By far, this ski is the best sit down that I have rode. Like many of you, I purchased mine in not so good condition. The center pistion was pitted when old gas was ran through it. I quickly installed a new cylinder, piston, and bearings and got her back up and running. First year I was still learning how to ride and what affects what on this ski. It was not getting the power I knew it could. Found it just needed some adjustements on the exhaust valves. This will be the 3rd season that I will be riding it and can't wait. I am going to attempt tuning a little more to acheive at least 7700rpm. I think after this summer I will end up redoing the hull. Paint and decals are a little scratchy. Anyway, I am looking forward to learning a lot from all of you and hopefully, eventually be able to contribute as well.

Bob Anthony
    Pheonix, AZ

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin5150 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I joined this forum a while ago but now am back into it and decided to write a proper introduction. I am a owner of a 97 Polaris Pro 785. By far, this ski is the best sit down that I have rode. Like many of you, I purchased mine in not so good condition. The center pistion was pitted when old gas was ran through it. I quickly installed a new cylinder, piston, and bearings and got her back up and running. First year I was still learning how to ride and what affects what on this ski. It was not getting the power I knew it could. Found it just needed some adjustements on the exhaust valves. This will be the 3rd season that I will be riding it and can't wait. I am going to attempt tuning a little more to acheive at least 7700rpm. I think after this summer I will end up redoing the hull. Paint and decals are a little scratchy. Anyway, I am looking forward to learning a lot from all of you and hopefully, eventually be able to contribute as well.

Bob Anthony
    Pheonix, AZ
    WELCOME BACK TO THE HULK
    got any pics for us
    and what kind of tach are you have ? mfd ? or aftermarket?
    have fun and enjoy
    mattman

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    WELCOME! I bought a 98 Pro 785 a couple of weeks ago and I LOVE IT!! X2 on the pics!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin5150 View Post
    ...I will end up redoing the hull. Paint and decals are a little scratchy...
    Welcome!

I seem to recall there was some issue with the 1997 Pro785 hulls being the lightest overall weight of all the Pros, but they had a tendency to crack. There is a fix for it - I don't know the details.

Ask around here - I am sure someone will know the specifics!

I will definately get some pics up real soon. I do have some issues with the hull. There is some very small cracks starting plus some of the holes for the rivits holding the side molding have become enlaged.

+1
    Welcome ,
    The 97's where prone to crack in the back ,there is a way to fix it Randy at Watcon sells a foam you mix up and pour into the back of the hull and also you want to reinforce the braces on the inside of the hull . as far as your rpm's you should be running at least 7700. i would try and tune it in to run 7800-7850 .

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    Welcome ,
    The 97's where prone to crack in the back ,there is a way to fix it Randy at Watcon sells a foam you mix up and pour into the back of the hull and also you want to reinforce the braces on the inside of the hull . as far as your rpm's you should be running at least 7700. i would try and tune it in to run 7800-7850 .
    I have read through a couple of the refurb posts on here for the 785. Really good info as far as the hull reinforcement and engine work. I have dealt with Randy at Watcon the past few years since obtaining the ski. I have to say that he is one great guy and always willing to help. The only thing that I have not found much info on is the hood alignment. I have been struggling getting mine somewhat aligned. I have seen a couple of pics that match mine with the paint rubbed off on the front edge. I have managed to adjust it so that it does not rub but now it just looks like it is way to high and now is not aligned in the back. According to the owners manual, the braket is supposed to be slotted for alignment purposes. Mine does not which I can do myself, but it just seems that the bracket is just to tall. Any info on this?

+1
    the 97-98's came with a hood spring if you dont want the spring you can get hinges off of any other sl model or the 99-00 pros and it will drop the front of the hood down for you

the 97-98's came with a hood spring if you dont want the spring you can get hinges off of any other sl model or the 99-00 pros and it will drop the front of the hood down for you
    Thanks for the info lugs!! I will have to try that one!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    sweet i even learn when i am not looking
    thanks bob,,,,,i was just living with that front lip
    mattman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information