Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

To Part or Not To Part...

My 1996 SLTX mechanically is in great shape but cosmetically is about a 5 on a 10 point scale. I've got it and the two SeaDoo's that are cosmetically 9.5's and mechanically very good too.

The SLTX needs to have the glass repair on the keel redone. My first repair didn't hold well enough and the hull is leaking water. I probably need to pull the gas tank and add some glass on the inside.

I'm also thinking that I simply don't have the time or patience to have 3 skis. All of my skis need some kind of work right now and I don't have a lot of time. Given a choice, I would keep the Sea Doo's over the Polaris simply because of the cosmetic condition as mechanically, they are similar except for the GTX which has a rebuilt motor with 10 hours on it.

Any opinions? I GPS's the SLTX at 53.6 mph and that's with a less than perfect hull and my 250 lb girth sitting on it. That tells me the motor is strong and the jet pump is good. 160 hours on it.

Is having 3 skis worth it in the end? I love the SLTX but I don't love the time overhead of 3 skis....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you do part ways with your Polaris, do keep visiting us around here.

+1
    It's a toughie to decide BUT I think 3 ski's are a minimum to have.
    It seems I'm not happy unless I have 5 or 6 with a few hiding at my friend's houses.
    I'm with K, if you check out, be sure to visit.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I say, get a replacement hull and swap the drive train. There's like a gazillion Polaris being parted down in FLA.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I say, get a replacement hull and swap the drive train.
    +1

Any SLT will do.

+1
    Great ideas....what I'm afraid of is either having three skis that never are perfect or one or two that are and another uselessly collecting dust...we'll see....i'm might be suffering from depression...I need a cohiba, luckily I have some....lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    Is having 3 skis worth it in the end? I love the SLTX but I don't love the time overhead of 3 skis....
    I know having 4 is worth it! I have never bought a running ski! now 3 have brand new quality built motors and 1 has a new paint job 3 have new upholstery ,ETC ETC but it's my Hobby so no Patience required

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I know having 4 is worth it! I have never bought a running ski! now 3 have brand new quality built motors and 1 has a new paint job 3 have new upholstery ,ETC ETC but it's my Hobby so no Patience required
    My trouble is that I have a house that I'm renovating even though I'm most of the way through it. I'm just whining and this is my support group! The ski isn't worth selling outright so it's worth keeping intact if I keep it or parting out to sell it. Better to part it out with a strong motor than blow the motor and have little to sell. But then again, parting out is a project in and of itself so there's my answer....get my arse under the hull and re-repair the glass.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996SLTX View Post
    But then again, parting out is a project in and of itself so there's my answer....get my arse under the hull and re-repair the glass.

Thats what I would do.

+1
    The original glass repair was about 2 inches wide and 15 inches long right down the keel under the gas tank area. The original damage didn't go all the way through the hull but the strength was gone as I could have probably stuck my finger through it. I put 7 layers of glass there and shot it with primer and it was ok for awhile. I haven't inspected it since I pulled it out of the water last time but the glass was soaked and dripping water so I'm assuming the leak is there.

Should I have glassed the inside too? And should I have widen the area of the repair on the outside of the hull for morer strength? I'm new to repairs...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information