Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another 4" Intake- 2007 Sportster SCIC

Well there is a foot of snow on the ground, the Sportster is in storage, so I thought I would dig out the new air intake and see what it would look like. The corrugated hose that goes in the end of the filter will also go down to the existing intake so I can leave that as is. Would have prefered red but blue isn't bad. All I have to do is get the boat out of storage, yank the SC and get the washers changed. Wait for warm weather to melt the 12+ inches of ice and away we go. Think Spring!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0330.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	63993  

I would put the filter at the end of all that hose. The filter will still be sucking in air from right where it is positioned ( near the j-pipe where there is a lot of heat) Get a lond piece of that hose or better yet, some kanaflex and run a length of it to a COOL, DRY area on the boat, and there you go!

One question...?

Why would you want your filter to keep sucking air from the airbox from it's center...? I think you are actually reducing the intake performance by doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
    One question...?

Why would you want your filter to keep sucking air from the airbox from it's center...? I think you are actually reducing the intake performance by doing so.
    I believe the Crankcase ventilation is tied into the air box somehow. I'm just trying to get rid of the crankcase gases, if any. I may be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by seadoo951 View Post
    I would put the filter at the end of all that hose. The filter will still be sucking in air from right where it is positioned ( near the j-pipe where there is a lot of heat) Get a lond piece of that hose or better yet, some kanaflex and run a length of it to a COOL, DRY area on the boat, and there you go!
    The end of that tube will be tied back to the air box(see other post). As far as sucking alot of heat, I think there is so much air moving so fast it doesn't pick up that much. If it does't work I'll put it back to stock and be happy

You have the right idea; I like to keep the stock intake in use, not only for crankcase ventilation and oil blow-by, but also to keep the rectifier cool in the airbox. I also believe it is designed so that the little bit of oil that makes it to the supercharger, helps protect it from salty air (if you're in that kind of environment). A good deal of oil will eventually make its way down the pipe and into your filter though, possibly gunking it up after a season or two. This would be another design to consider, to be able to use a steel filter and the stock intake:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 inch intake out.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	64099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 inch intake in.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	64100  

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    I also believe it is designed so that the little bit of oil that makes it to the supercharger, helps protect it from salty air (if you're in that kind of environment). :
    Here in southern Wisconsin the only salty air we get is from the snow plow trucks spreading salt on the roads. And with 100+ (record) inches of snow this year they sure spread alot of it. Like I said earlier: "THINK SPRING!!!!"

+1
    I like it, but wouldn't it be better to put a catch can on it and then have the intake up higher in case you flood the engine bay out?

Would you mind telling us where you bought your stuff from and list it, I really like this set up, but am nervous about how low it is in the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlust View Post
    I like it, but wouldn't it be better to put a catch can on it and then have the intake up higher in case you flood the engine bay out?

Would you mind telling us where you bought your stuff from and list it, I really like this set up, but am nervous about how low it is in the hull.
    Gotta cool the rectifier, or you'll eventually have some nasty electrical problems. It's in the airbox, so might as well utilize it. The filter is at the top of the engine bay; I wouldn't worry about it flooding out. The boat would be pretty much sunk at that point, and a complete loss. Luckily don't hear that happening to much.

The filter itself is a Spectre 9735, which can be found online or even usually at Autozone. Silicone Intakes.com has other good couplers. Hell, in my pic above, I've using PVC plumbing from Lowe's. That was about the best intake I've ever had, but can't use it anymore, because I ran out of room. I use a 4" Kanaflex now, with some other parts to route it around. I've attempted about every intake imaginable, from building cold boxes, to drilling 4" holes in the hull to route fresh air in the supercharger. All those complicated designs were crap compared to the simple one pictured above. I learned that the temperature of the incoming air means a lot less than you'd think it would. The supercharger is just going to superheat it anyway, and the intercooler will cool it down again. The temperature of the water going into the intercooler plays a much bigger factor. No, what it likes is unrestricted airflow, and that means a 4” intake, and the filter as close to the SC as possible. Especially, if you ever upgrade the SC.

+1
    Cool man, I appreciate the advice. I was thinking the air filter would be more effective right at the charger... it's like anything else, distance... espcially bends slow the air down... in the end it's like a two stroke, suck and blow... Free it all up!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information