Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New to Wave Runners. Question about Sea Doo vs. yamaha

Hey guys, i know i got a lot to learn about wave runners. I would have posted this in a General Discussion about wave runners, but all i saw was the general discussion for misc., and that looked like mostly off topic discussion.

anyway, i have been talking to my dad, and he has been thinking about buying me wave runner for the summer. I want something fast, and probably a 3 seater (so that i can pull tubers and stuff). I have looked at both yamaha's and sea doo's websites, and their top speed models are a lil pricy for what my dad wants to pay. He isnt able to ride the wave runner, so he's probably not gonna want to spend a lot of $ on it. Is it allright to buy used wave runners? or are most of the ones that you find for sale already been torn up by the user, and will break down soon after i buy one? Also, what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of Sea Doo and Yamaha? (and is kawasaki make good wave runners???) I want something that will be able to go in the high 60's, and even 70's if possible. I also want something that can accelerate quickly for jumping waves and such. I live in Florida, and i have 2 friends that live down in Estero that have wave runners, so most of my wave running will be in the Estero Bay (which is an awesome area for going out on the water, with all the mangrove's and islands that you can stop at it to rest, and plus theres thousands of different "secret" passages through the islands that make it seem that they were built specifically for wave runners to squeeze through them).

I am very excited about finally being able to get a wave runner (tho it hasn't happened yet, but there's a pretty good chance). Every time i just think about going out i get excited. I am also willing to learn everything that i can about modifications to make my PWC go to its best ability. Sorry for the long post

+1
    Spend some time and do some research online...........................

Quote Originally Posted by battsy View Post
    Spend some time and do some research online...........................
    i have done tons of research, but everything i find is biased information, and i can't find much information about waverunners with modifications and how they handle and such. What i need is true information from people who have owned and experiencced the differences between waverunners.

what i think would be good would be like an 04-05 seadoo or yamaha. how much would one go for? and what would be the best model from each company?

PS Waverunner is a Yamaha tradmark! use the term pwc while searching this may be why your finding biased results

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    PS Waverunner is a Yamaha tradmark! use the term pwc while searching this may be why your finding biased results
    ah, thank you so much. i didnt want to use Jet ski, cuz i recently learned that jet ski is a kawasaki trademark lol. sorry.

RXT
    FX HO
    Both would be nice skis...Your not going to get in the upper 60 low 70;s without spending some paper..

Three letters for you RXt it fits your criteria!!!

Maybe figure out if you want a 4 stroke or 2 stroke then go to each forum and in their respective 2 or 4 stroke section ask what ski you could get for x amount of coin?

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    Maybe figure out if you want a 4 stroke or 2 stroke then go to each forum and in their respective 2 or 4 stroke section ask what ski you could get for x amount of coin?
    yes i was also wondering about that. i'm not sure if i want 2 stroke or 4 stroke. initially i was thinking 4, but i hear that some people have some pretty fast 2 strokes on here.

any tips or suggestions as to the pros and cons of each??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by alias3r View Post
    ...a lil pricy for what my dad wants to pay. He isnt able to ride the wave runner, so he's probably not gonna want to spend a lot of $ on it.

...I want something that will be able to go in the high 60's, and even 70's if possible. I also want something that can accelerate quickly for jumping waves and such...
    What is your budget range?

You would be buying the PWC, plus trailer, plus safety gear. Ongoing costs include insurance, fuel/oil, plus servicing (unless you are going to do that yourself, in which case you may be buying some tools, parts).

Don't forget about repair costs. Things can break, even on a new PWC, especially if you hit solid objects, or make a mistake (running in too shallow water), or floating debris damaging the jet pump, etc.

Speed - when you get into the higher speeds, you need to think about the safety aspects. Even a stock PWC at 60mph can hurt you in a big hurry if you don't have some experience and/or training. Do think about attending a good boat/water safety course. Ignorance and poor attitude are often factors in boating accidents.

A heavy 3 seater PWC will handle rough water better (in general), but a lighter 2 seater model would be happier with wave jumping.

Used vs. new - depends on your budget, your ability and interest in working on it yourself, and the condition of the particular unit you buy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information