Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Dirty Ski!!!

Well I just spent all day Cleaning out the hull of my GP. After getting the engine out I cleaned the inside of the hull for 6 hours today. Just for how much I put into cleaning the hull I should get into DRC decals for no hassle. I also found a couple things that were missing and broken. First i am missing two bolts in the intake(picture 2,3). I found one bolt but the other is missing. Also the rubber piece that goes between the couplers has a wing broken off. Give me some thoughts........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	64042   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	64043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake2.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	64044   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	64045  

The inside of the hull looks good! Replace the missing intake bolts. Make sure you use some blue loctite on them when you replace them. Also check and re-torque all the others as well. This is one of the easiest places to develop an airleak and cook a motor. I would replace the rubber bushing for the drive coupler as well. A little preventive maintenace always goes a long, long way.
    M

+1

Wink

Be glad you don't have an XPL. My old 98 went through rubber driveshaft couplers every race...

+1
    The inside of the hull looks clean. However, the DRC does not roll with the factory warning stickers on our ski's. Back in 1997 long before the DRC was even formed, I took all the warning stickers off before my GP even hit the water.

The rubber coupler dampner has always been the weak spot on my GP. The last time I replaced it was Sept. of 06 and I reshimmed the motor and made damn sure the couplers were lined up. If you just throw another one in there and go back with the shims in the same place it will happen again sooner.

Thanks for all the advice...I am going to replace the rubber coulper piece and reshim the motor. I'm also going to put new bolts in. Should I put a thin film of rtv silicon around the neck of the bolts...NOT the threads but around the neck(where there is no threads)? Needed or no? Oh about the decals.........Well see here we have winter so trying to get the decals off in 20 degree weather is hard to do. But when it gets warmer out, they will be all off. I just have to work on that facial hair. Maybe me and Kale will just draw on a goatee.
    Thanks all!

+1
    I have never put any silicone around the neck of the bolts. What is your reasoning/thinking for this?

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    I have never put any silicone around the neck of the bolts. What is your reasoning/thinking for this?

A guy at west marine said i should but then i asked him if he owns a jetski and he said he doesnt own anything that floats. So i guess i shouldnt have asked, what a dumb ass. I thought the same thing, thats why i asked. he said that to get a better water tight seal.
    sorry
    oh forgot to ask i am in Dying need of one of those dampener/rubber fiitings that goes in the couplers. I would order one locally but at 35.00 plus shipping and 3 weeks wait, i cant wait that long not to mention that i think i am getting raped on the cost. I havent checked boats.net yet so......

The decal is still on there cause that was a kind before the cold winter project that never got finished. All the warning decals are off today. Hey kale, find us some goatees!!!!

Make sure that your reed/intake gasket, is the one with aluminum and foam on both sides. Or fill the balance grooves in the manifold. This is missed a lot, and makes it two mph slower and hard to start (lots of primer shots)

+1
    No, on the silicone to the bolts, blue loctite as suggested. Take the warning stickers off! They slow you down 2mph just by their existence! Eveything else looks real good.

They have a heavy duty rubber bisquit "or they used to" RIVA, and it helps go little farther distance..shimming the engine, make sure you can slide it back and forth freely and this will help protect that rubber dampner.

Thanks all!! I have checked the intake and its all good. i used blue locktite on the bolts and torqued them down. I also have removed all the decals.... It is so much easier removing them in warm temp than do it in the cold.... . If you read my tiny tach install, I left the sticker on to protect it while i was doing the install. But it ade the project harder cause that decal is a b*tch to get off. Well thanks again all and going to get a damper and put the engine in. I'll get all the pics up soon. Too bad i didnt get the before pics on how dirty it was. You think of that half way through the clean up, elbow deep in oil!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information