Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question ?Keep my rebuilt 01' RX or sell and buy 05'RXP?

Hi guys, this will be my first post, so bear with me. Props for the great forum, by the way.

I have a 2001 carbed RX. It has been down for the past 3 years, after the engine seized. The seizure ended up being due to a rusted exhaust manifold dumping salt water into the engine. Anyway, I had the engine rebuilt with 0.5mm oversized pistons, new crankshaft, new bearings, etc. We also replaced the steering, reverse and accelerator cables, as preventive maintenance. Finally we installed a performance open element filter for the carbs. The new engine now has about 3-4 hours and its running pretty good, except for some carb fine tuning that I have to get done for the bottom to mid range transition. Top end feels great.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to buy an 05' RXP at a good price with only 29 hours run only in fresh water. (Here in Puerto Rico all riding is in salt water but this ski is imported and still hasn't even been registered here).

My question is: Should I sell my RX, while it still has a freshly rebuilt engine, and put up the $$ difference for the newer 05' RXP and mod the RXP? Or, should I just keep my good ol' RX and use the money saved to modify it, hopefully to keep up with stock-to-nearly-stock RXPs?
    I don't have much to go by, since I have never riden an RXP, and have not even riden my RX with any RXPs, so I have not made any side by side comparisons. In addition to the higher top speed of the stock RXP, will it accelerate even faster than the stock RX?

Sorry for the long 1st post, and thanks for your advice, its greatly appreciated.

JulianC

+1
    My only concern with an 05 RXP and only 29 hrs is the ceramic washers are gone or have been replaced with more ceramic washers. When checking out the ski pull off the supercharger intake and turn the impeller, if it turns keep looking, if not check the history of ski to make the washers have not gone out.

cbrich,

Just wanted to add that the guy who owns the 05' RXP is my good friend's brother. He use to live in the states and only ran it in fresh water there. Then he moved here to Puerto Rico and brought it over, but never got to register it because he was shipped off to Irak, with the Army. That is why it only has 29 hours. I would think the stock ceramic washers are still in, though I have not asked. If they are, how can I check if they are already gone? I don't think I'd buy it without riding it first, so I would notice the low power and low RPM number, if that were the case.

JulianC

+1
    You would notice the low rpms if the washer are gone, but the easy test is pulling the supercharger intake hose off and spin the impeller.

So if I were to try and spin the impeller, like you mention, how much resistance should I get if the washers are good? If the are slipping?

So, it seems you believe I should sell my RX, and purchase the newer 4-stroke ski?

What does everybody else think?? I think I should have posted a poll, jejeje.
    Thanks for the great feedback.

JulianC

+1
    Go for the RXP you will be glad you did. No more water injestion problems from that 951 you have. Add gas and go!

Just make sure that if the ceramic washers have already been replaced because they failed, that all of the ceramic bits were removed from both oil pumps and that the oil pumps were not damaged. This would have required that the engine be pulled. If little bits of the washers are still roaming around in the engine, it might last 3 or 4 hours, but it will eventually ruin the engine. You might also want to get the VIN number and ask a Sea Doo dealer to get you a list of repairs before you buy it... Ron

Guys, how much resistance should I feel from trying to spin the supercharger impeller, by hand, if the ceramic washers are still good? If they are not too good? If they are gone?

Also, nobody has commented in the acceleration vs topspeed comparison of these skis. Just wanted to get more feedback.

Thanks for the advice,

JulianC

+1
    Lets see--the comparison between your RX and a RXP is like a truck and a Viper. I have had both.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Lets see--the comparison between your RX and a RXP is like a truck and a Viper. I have had both.
    So true, ride the RXP once and you'll be hooked!
    Just check the SC and put metal washers in immediately!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information