SHO hull speed limited - rumor or not?

I heard a *rumor* that the SHO hull, based as it is on the older hulls, is limited in terms of high-speed potential. Based on where the rumor came from, I'm not sure if this is an attempt to cast doubt on Yamaha or not.

It's true that the SHO adapts an older hull design to the NanoXcell process, and it's pretty obvious that they will release a new hull design in the next couple years. However, the rumor source said that the current hull design (which includes the FXHO as well) begins to exhibit bow steering problems at 65 mph, and the hull becomes uncontrollable above 75.

Have you all - the people who own SHOs and the ones who have modded FXHOs - seen *any* evidence that would back up this claim?

Obviously, those of us who are interested in the mod potential of this motor would be a little bummed if the hull is speed limited in terms of controllability. And no - I'm not trying to start a rumour - I've got a deposit on the SHO - I'm trying to find out if there's any truth to it.

Thanks for any help you can offer, especially from the those who have run these things up above 65 where problems apparently begin to be noticable.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginate View Post
    I heard a *rumor* that the SHO hull, based as it is on the older hulls, is limited in terms of high-speed potential. Based on where the rumor came from, I'm not sure if this is an attempt to cast doubt on Yamaha or not.

It's true that the SHO adapts an older hull design to the NanoXcell process, and it's pretty obvious that they will release a new hull design in the next couple years. However, the rumor source said that the current hull design (which includes the FXHO as well) begins to exhibit bow steering problems at 65 mph, and the hull becomes uncontrollable above 75.

Have you all - the people who own SHOs and the ones who have modded FXHOs - seen *any* evidence that would back up this claim?

Obviously, those of us who are interested in the mod potential of this motor would be a little bummed if the hull is speed limited in terms of controllability. And no - I'm not trying to start a rumour - I've got a deposit on the SHO - I'm trying to find out if there's any truth to it.

Thanks for any help you can offer, especially from the those who have run these things up above 65 where problems apparently begin to be noticable.
    Tell you the truth. I dont know how many people have gad an FX hull to very high speeds........ Albeit, last year when I was doing searching on PWCToday I did see a few guys say that the FX hull got kinda squirrelly at high speed. Not sure the FX hull was really designed for extreme high speed. All in due time I guess.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Tell you the truth. I dont know how many people have gad an FX hull to very high speeds........ Albeit, last year when I was doing searching on PWCToday I did see a few guys say that the FX hull got kinda squirrelly at high speed. Not sure the FX hull was really designed for extreme high speed. All in due time I guess.
    i was one who said it got squirrelly at speed at the time i was running the stock ride plate i changed to the riva plate and it was beter but not by much
    i now have a jims R&D plate and that is good at 65
    as for testing at higher speeds i wish
    i have riden an sho and it felt perfect at full speed no bounce like the fxho had

kev

How do you have a Riva Ride plate since Riva has released them for the SHO yet?

It's for an FXHO, presumably. Same hull.

I believe the hulls are different between the sho and the ho. Just by looking at the front the sho seems wider.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I believe the hulls are different between the sho and the ho. Just by looking at the front the sho seems wider.
    Its the same hull. Different layup process.

Thread Information