+1

Question Grounding XS Intercooler

Hi all i have read somewhere on here that it is a good idea to groun the intercooler to the engine in some way to help prevent corrosion?? Where would you ground it to on the engine?? Or could i run a ground directly to the battery because this is in affect what you are doing by bolting a grounding strap to the engine any how?? Any thoughts many thanks R8

+1

Cool

you could run loop back to motor BUT your better off installing sacrificial anodes (magnesium one or something for alum.)

later cd

I have my XS grounded. There's already a wire going from the battery's negative to the engine block, so I ran a wire from the engine block to the intercooler. It can be any bolt/screw on the block, as long as your wire is touching metal, not paint. I loosened one of the bolts, wrapped a 16 gauge wire around it and tightened the bolt again. I wrapped the other side around one of the XS IC mounting bolts and tightened. Those XS mounting bolts go all the way through, so make sure they are on tight to avoid a boost leak.

Chip- What makes an anode work better than that?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Chip- What makes an anode work better than that?
    The anode will corrode before anything else does. The grounding does work, to an extent. But Id prefer a zinc anode.

+1
    Ithought that the anode would only corrode 1st if it was in the water?? If i am right how do you protect the inside of the core from the water? Also there is a anode on the pump shoe so what is the need 4 a second 1? I thought grounding it was the best solution?? Any more help Thanks R8

+1
    On my 2004 RXP with Riva intercooler I have always had a ground wire from the intercooler to the engine block and NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER. Easier to install and less weight and a lot less expense. And the ground wire never has to be replaced.

You can install a zinc anode in the ic water line...http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/ZINE-0...+X+1-3%2C+4%22
    or you can connect the ic to the pump using the bolts sticking through the tunnel and be protected by the pump anode or to the engine block and be protected by the anode on the ride plate. Any way is fine, the point is to just do it so the core of the ic will not get eaten away by the water electrolysis. After connecting use your ohmmeter and be sure you get 0 between the ic and what you hooked it to. You'll know then you are protected.

Thread Information