Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Floating swim fins! That sink?

How pissed would you be if you bought " floating swim fins" At big 5 sporting goods made by Churchill The original swimfins manufacturer and when you went to use them to swim your craft to saftey they both sank to the bottom? I left a message with the 800 number but I am not happy , this could cost a life!! keep u posted Z

here is the offender!

So Wham-o called me back ( didn't think they would) and stated that they float for a while under the surface and recommend a tether , well they sunk slowly so is that what they mean by float under the surface? I was disappointed at the advertising scheme! I bought these after all the post about people leaving their skis to swim to shore so just be careful and test your equipment! Z

Thats a bummer ZMan but I'm glad you posted. Time to inspect my fins. Theyre real old but they work great with heel strap and neoprene boots. Thank goodness they float.

+1
    Ahoy!
    Well, it's been my experience that NONE of them float for very 'long'. You have to see or feel them loosen immediately, they all sink. I say this due to this fact: I'm usually working in currents/whitewater...with whitewater there is a mixture of air with the water, anything buoyant needs more 'floatation' to keep it above water. I've lost so many fins over the years and it also depends upon the type of 'fin belt' you are using....

Not that this helps..LOL

Shawn

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Z those are what Churchill called in the late 70's (when they first introduced them) "Morey boogie board fins" they work in the Ocean very well, yes they sort of float not at the surface but don't drop like a rock as most fins in the past did, Churchill has had similar floating fins since @ WWII. The fins are cut so you can put them on and easily walk into the surf-Its bad through that "hodads" get them for non beach use and since they market them differently than when they first where introduced could be a safety issue in fresh water
    Last edited by pirate33; 03-29-2008 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks for the info! I figured since they were compact they would fit in the ski well but they aren't very comfortable either so I will probably just get a normal divers style fin Z

+1
    When they say they float, they propably mean in Salt Water.

I was wondering about that

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    This floating safety issue is to the tune of when I was looking at PFD's. I liked some of Jet Pilots ones but the ones I liked WERE NOT US COAST GUARD RATED!! and you can't wear if racing
    so they would float you yes but not to hold your head up above the water without kicking-all I can think of is someone wearing one that can't swim / swim well or using with kids and not knowing the hidden danger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information