break in question

If I have completed my 10 hours of "break in " on my speedster, can i go wot and keep it at the top end before taking it back to the dealer? What exactly do they do at the dealership after break in? Thanks!

Welcome back, fellow central-Floridian!

The subject of engine break-in can always spark a heated debate, though the prevailing opinion is that the engine should see some WOT during break-in, or it's not going to get broken in right. I'd say no WOT in the first hour, but during the second hour, there needs to be some very brief (just a second) runs up the throttle to WOT to properly break in the seals. Also important to vary the throttle; don't stay on the same RPMs for more than 15 seconds (and much less at WOT). By hour three, you should spend more time at WOT and hold it longer (5 - 10 seconds), then hour four, even more time wide open (10 - 20 seconds at a time), but by hour five, you should be nearly completely broken in and able to ride it normally. You've got to remember that unlike a car engine, these were designed to run a full throttle more often than not.

There has been a lot of untrue speculation that at the 10 hour service, the dealer throws a switch that will allow the engine to perform to its full potential. The truth is (from what I've gathered), the ECU computer in the SCIC engines retards timing 6% and increases fuel delivery 5% for the first 5 to 7 hours of break-in. It adjusts to normal spec on its own though, not by the dealer doing anything. The N/A 155hp engines do not do this, there is no special break-in timing for them. The 10 hour service is nothing more than the most expensive oil change you'll ever get. I've heard of dealers replacing the spark plugs too, but mine didn't, and it seems unnecessary. (The dealer I bought my boat from is the eptiome of incompetence, and I'd never take it back to them for anything.)

So, you really should have already been running full throttle, but I'd get the oil changed and start running WOT ASAP. If you are at 10 hours, don't wait, change the oil now. In fact, the hour meters on the '07s can run a little slow; mine showed 5 hours when I first changed the oil, because it had really been used for 10 hours. You might be way overdue for your first oil change. Also, since you've got the non-supercharged engine, you can use synthetic oil, if you wish, but I'd wait at least until hour 25 or more to use it. I switched to synthetic in a car too early (1500 miles) before, and it ruined the engine.

Thanks for the info. I'm at about 8 hours now and was going to take it out and keep it at throttle(not up and down with the rpms- kinda over that!)for a couple hours before the oil change. One other thing- has there been confirmation on a "fix" for the digital hour meter yet? Heard there was a dealer in Ft. Myers with the software patch. Thanks again!!

I'd say you'd be fine "going to town" with it for a couple of hours then. Sure there's some metal particles in your oil, but that's what the oil filter is for, it'll easily catch particles that big.

Yeah, I heard there was a "fix" too, but it's not something I'm going to dart down to the dealership for. No telling what that "fix" could break!

VX1, thanks for that great post. Very timely for me because I am breaking in new engine. Fortunately, I'm right on schedule!

Smile

You don't need to worry too much with the break-in period as these are already quite protected from factory, like said the engine run for 10 hours on 'the safe-side' retarding the advance and adding fuel on top.

Actually the only reason i wouldn't beat the hell out of a brand new ski is for not having any warranty issue in case of an engine broke within few hours.....don't forget the dealer can see almost everything you do via the log ability of the ecm....so if you beat it like hell in the beginning they could argue a bit that you neglected the broke-in period.

But the recipe is quite good....short blast in WOT won't be bad...worst to do is to run it either always WOT for long period OR maintaining a constant rpm speed for long period....just 'play' with the RPM a lot...and it is A-1.

Sugarman - What dealer did you end up purchasing your boat from?

dealer

D-
    I went down to Barneys' in St. Pete. It's a bit of a drive, but I felt comfortable with them- got a pretty good deal too.

Ive been reading a bunch about break in over the last six months and VX1 seemed to distill the same stuff well. I didnt know that being too cautious can screw up ring seal. Thanks Jeepster for addtl comments. I think I'm right on target.

Thread Information