Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2002 xlt1200 problems

I was told to go on here and that you guys are the gurus and might be able to help me out.

I bought an xlt with 71 hours on it. The guy I bought it from was pretty honest and said it would run ok for a bit then not rev up and only go 15mph. I bought it and pulled the cat and put in a dplate from riva racing. Also put in a resistor instead of the cat temp probe.

Machine starts and run great on trailer. Went out today and it was a little boggy at first, but seemed to clear up. I ran it up the river for about 10mins - turned around and came back down - doing about 40 the entire time. Almost back to where I parked and it suddenly started bogging - almost like it went into a limp mode kinda. Made it back and sat there - it idled fine. I was messing around near the landing and figured out that pulling the choke seemed to help and it would come out of it.

Compression is good at 115 on all three on my gage. Machine is completely stock other than dplate I put in. Cat was pretty plugged up.

Anybody have any ideas?

Oh yeah.. the white plastic thing at the front of the ski - I thought it was a water seporator, but it looks like its hooked up to the vent line??

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    most likely the carbs are going to need a rebuild.

+1
    Being a 5 year old ski with 71 hours I would say the carbs probally need to be gone thru & accel pump verified that it works. When you pull the choke you richen up the fuel circut & then it runs better for a minute.

The white thing is a vent line water trap.

+1
    Acording to previous owner they have been rebuilt - from what I understand they did it to solve this problem which it did not. A shop did it and it was expensive he mentioned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    Being a 5 year old ski with 71 hours I would say the carbs probally need to be gone thru & accel pump verified that it works. When you pull the choke you richen up the fuel circut & then it runs better for a minute.

The white thing is a vent line water trap.
    accel pump looks brand new. No paint on it looks like it was just cleaned/rebuilt/replaced.

Ahh ok white thing is for vent. Is there a water trap for carbs?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by coastalfun View Post
    accel pump looks brand new. No paint on it looks like it was just cleaned/rebuilt/replaced.
    Looks & "is" working are 2 different things....Pull carbs clean/rebuild.

You NEVER take anything forgranted when dealing with jetskis.

check compression, then check the fuel system-filter, water in the gas, then check the carbs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TRuBLuE01 View Post
    check compression, then check the fuel system-filter, water in the gas, then check the carbs
    Compression is 120 on all three. I put a little drygas (isop) in - not sure how else to check for water in gas. Filter looks ok, pulled it out and blew through it.

It kinda acts like it starves for gas after awhile. I dont know. I really thought it was ignition - it just dies out down to about 4k rpms and wont go above it. Then I pulled the choke and it came alive.

Might ride it somemore tomorrow when I have another boat around in case I breaak down.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    I would put the money on the carbs, these guys know... and they can also tell you what percent of carbs are not rebuilt correctly....

Quote Originally Posted by coastalfun View Post
    Compression is 120 on all three. I put a little drygas (isop) in - not sure how else to check for water in gas. Filter looks ok, pulled it out and blew through it.

It kinda acts like it starves for gas after awhile. I dont know. I really thought it was ignition - it just dies out down to about 4k rpms and wont go above it. Then I pulled the choke and it came alive.

Might ride it somemore tomorrow when I have another boat around in case I breaak down.

+1
    I just thought it was odd that it will run fine for 15-20 min running at 40-45 mph and then act up. Not trying to argue, just dont get it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information