Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

how do i know if

how do i know if my wear ring needs to be replaced? and also how do i know if i damaged my prop?

here it is i sucked a small piece of cheap plastic rope in when i was crusing the other day i felt an instant drop in mph about 2. i pulled over to the shore and could not feel anything so i tried to take off and i can feel it cavitate went back to shore still could not see anything or feel. so i decided to drive back to the ramp at a slow speed so about 20 seconds after i took off i felt like it shot out and i had more power! so i still just went back and pulled my ski out and looked up inside and i can see some orange plastic rope wraped around my dive shaft all shredded and the end of it just barley touching my prop. went home and pulled it all out." came off real easy!!

so today went back to the lake now it feels to me like its cavitating on the take off when i gun it. but then it feels normal at top speed WOT.

did i mess something up? it never locked up on me. could i have bent the prop? or damaged the wear ring? how can i tell?

From what I have read here you will see a grove near the closest part of the impeller and the wear ring wall. If the gap between the two is too large you will cavitate. A lot of peeps here talk about just flipping the wear ring to get some extra life out of it since flipping it around puts the groove farther up the drive shaft.

Others just go for the Satinless WR and call it a day. Some argue that running SS will damage your prop but Gerry says that BS (in a much nicer way ofcourse)

Ive read even flipping it gives you a boost in performance since the rider gets used to the cavitation since it takes a while to happen you don't notice your ski getting slower, then when you flip it, its like a whole new ski... Anybody experienced this?

I wanna say the gap between prop and ring is max of .016 inches, so yeah two natts asses and you loose performance.....a lot

i looked in with a flashlight and i dont notice any un normal wear, the gap between the wear ring and the tip of the blades is very small looks to be about 1-2 credit card gap. it only has 24 hours on it. how fast do wear rings wear out?

Quote Originally Posted by FATSACK View Post
    i looked in with a flashlight and i dont notice any un normal wear, the gap between the wear ring and the tip of the blades is very small looks to be about 1-2 credit card gap. it only has 24 hours on it. how fast do wear rings wear out?
    My last ring went 95 hours but I did not suck anything up to damage it. Since you just sucked up a rope I would guess the ring was not damaged enough to worry about it particularly since you don't see any grooves on the ring. When the ring wears out you will get cavitation when you do a wot start and your acceleration will fall off.

+1
    Drop in RPM also will tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    When the ring wears out you will get cavitation when you do a wot start and your acceleration will fall off.
    thats whats happening when i WOT on take off it feels like it cavitates but then at full speed it's normal. i still get my top speed. is the wear ring supposed to be perfectly smooth? there is a little groove but i looked at my GTI SE with 11 hours it has the same small groove.

how hard is it to change the wear ring on a 2007 RXP? i thought i read in one of the post it's real hard to change and you cant use the freezer method for 2007 and newer models

does anybody have any ideas what would cause cavitation on a WOT take off but then run at top speed just fine? besides the wear ring and the prop. i'm trying to narrow it down i'm gonna change the wear ring first and if that does"nt work then a new prop.

just trying to get other ideas. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FATSACK View Post
    does anybody have any ideas what would cause cavitation on a WOT take off but then run at top speed just fine? besides the wear ring and the prop. i'm trying to narrow it down i'm gonna change the wear ring first and if that does"nt work then a new prop.

just trying to get other ideas. thanks
    Air leaking through the carbon ring at WOT start can cause that. Put a tie-wrap behind the drive shaft bellows to increase the sealing pressing on the floating ring.

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    Air leaking through the carbon ring at WOT start can cause that. Put a tie-wrap behind the drive shaft bellows to increase the sealing pressing on the floating ring.
    i'm new to all this but reading in this forum i learned alot, but i have no idea what the bellows or the floating ring is? i know where the drive shaft is. would have a picture of those by chance? i'll try anything. i really dont want to buy a new prop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information