Earth, USA, California

Please pray for Steven Hightower

Water wreck victim critical

Sunday, Mar 23, 2008 - 11:21 PM

#articleMediaPanelOuter {width: 310px;padding-right:5px;float:left;} #articleMediaPanelFrame {position:relative;border: 1px solid #666;background: white;} .articleMediaPanelTools {height: 115px;} .articleMediaPanelInfoBox {padding-top:5px;}

By Jim Cook

When Steven and Cristal Daniel set out on the Chattahoochee River Sunday afternoon, the couple had no idea they’d be needed to help bring an injured man to safety.

“We were just out spending what we thought would be a quiet Easter,” Cristal said.
    Their quiet holiday took a turn when they came upon a boat stalled on the waters of the Chattahoochee near Gordon.

“We saw the boat and they were just sitting there, waving their hands like crazy,” Cristal said.
    Inside the boat were Charles Conrad, three friends and an injured man, Steven Hightower, Conrad’s brother. Hightower had crashed his jet ski sometime before 5 p.m. Conrad and his friends, who had been riding near Hightower in a boat, loaded the injured Hightower into their vessel and set out for the Gordon boat landing. Before they could get there, their boat ran out of gas.

Conrad described the crash.

“He weaved close to the bank and hit something,” he said. “... The jet ski turned one way and something on the bank threw him off.”

Daniel, a nurse, said Hightower’s injuries appeared serious. When she and her husband came upon the stalled boat, Hightower had head lacerations and was unconscious, she said.
    The Daniels towed Conrad’s boat, but it was slow going.

“Our boat is not real strong, and we weren’t able to pull very fast,” she said.

The Daniels were eventually met by a Houston County Rescue boat, which took Hightower to shore, where he was airlifted to Flowers Hospital. As of late Sunday evening, Hightower, a Midland City resident, was in critical condition at the facility.

Participating in Hightower’s rescue were the Houston County Sheriff’s Department, Houston County Rescue, Ashford Fire Rescue and Early County Rescue units.

Reader Reaction:
    Give your opinion. Click this link to post your comment

Posted March 26, 2008 @ 09:26 PM by Anonymous First of all,this is my son.Second, he is a grown man of responsible nature. He has ridden jet ski's for years having lived in PCB. Steve hit something in the water that caused him to have the accident.This was a freak thing. I also believe in the power of prayers.And he certainly does need them.He is on life support. I also know that the nurse that was there & helped to tow the boat in DID NOT do any asiment on my son to really know of his condition.Yes,he had blood on his head.And

Posted March 25, 2008 @ 02:38 PM by John Probably the most important safety item other than a life vest on inland waters is a cellular phone.

Posted March 25, 2008 @ 01:36 PM by kaakaa good luck to you all. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you. Please know that he must be a strong man to have come this far and will continue on his road to recovery. God Bless and you all are in our thoughts. Chris, Bree, and Family

Posted March 24, 2008 @ 04:56 PM by ANONYMOUS I hope he is ok too. I regularly scubadive in these rivers against the current and with the gators. I have been hurt at the boat ramp, not even in the water! Just happened to be his time. I too, understand why he wants to jetski in the river, THERE ARE NO WAVES! Lake Eufaula is like riding in the ocean! Porpoising is no fun. Plus, you will receive a big fat ticket for trying to have any fun at Lake Eufaula. Almost every visit to that lake, I have been harrassed by law enforcement. GET WELL

Posted March 24, 2008 @ 09:55 AM by concerned i don't know mr. hightower but it hurts my heart to hear about what happened. i will be praying for mr. hightower and his family. we all need to join together and pray for him. i am a firm believer that prayer changes things. i believe the daniels were there for a reason not just by choice. God works in mysterious ways. God bless you mr. hightower and your family.

panama city beach 'fl

wonder if that is monty hightower son? use to work on there rental ski's
    hopefull everthing turns out ok for him

late cd
    Last edited by chip; 03-28-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Thread Information