Thread: Oil level

Oil level

Its not clear to me where the oil level should be.
    Yesterday when i checked it wafter my ride, on the water, ti was above the top mark, so i went to my dealer and told him he put too much oil in.. so he removed some... cold, its right under the upper mark. he say that when warm, the oil should expand and go around the top mark.

im confused. where should it be at cold temp, and where whould it be at warm temp? and does the oil expand when warmed?

thanks

+1
    warm your ski up to operating temps, idle for 30 seconds, kill engine, sit for 30 seconds, check dipstick, should be between 2 marks.

good luck.

on a cold engine after my ski came back from the dealer the oil was about 3/8" over the top bend COLD! I was onyl turning about 7300 RPMS with my mods below...I took out almost a quart and it was at half way between the bends COLD....now I am turning a perfect 7600 RPMS....so my suggestion would be if ya cant get it warm enough just remove enough oil for the oil mark to be half way between the bends COLD....

+1
    I changed the oil on my wife's GTX-SC a few days ago. Using the Oil-Boy, I got a hair over 3 ltrs out. I replaced it with exactly the same amount and it barely registers on the dip stick. Has anyone else noticed this?

I would put more in....and you could always take some out if it is too high whne you heat her up...ya know?

I like to get it at the bottom bend when cold. Then I check it on the water when fully warmed up and add oil to get it to the the middle of the two bends.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast-XPL
    I changed the oil on my wife's GTX-SC a few days ago. Using the Oil-Boy, I got a hair over 3 ltrs out. I replaced it with exactly the same amount and it barely registers on the dip stick. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Funny you mentioned that, I did my rxp this weekend and I could only get 2 quarts out. I figured my hunk of crap electric oil pump just couldn't do it. So I put 2 quarts back in. Warmed ski back up, checked oil and it didn't register. Stupid me, I didn't check the level before I started sucking it out but I'm sure I was probably a little low. Heck, I also forgot to rev it to 4 grand and kill it before I started sucking oil out. I am just going to redo it all next weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by miketrin
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast-XPL
    Funny you mentioned that, I did my rxp this weekend and I could only get 2 quarts out. I figured my hunk of crap electric oil pump just couldn't do it. So I put 2 quarts back in. Warmed ski back up, checked oil and it didn't register. Stupid me, I didn't check the level before I started sucking it out but I'm sure I was probably a little low. Heck, I also forgot to rev it to 4 grand and kill it before I started sucking oil out. I am just going to redo it all next weekend.
    I only got 2 ltrs out initially. It took 4 of those 10 sec cranks to get the other liter out. I didn't check the level prior to the change either.

I wanted to get all I could out since I switched to Amsoil. It's too hard on the shaft seal to run the motor long enough to reach operating temp so I guess I'll have to take some oil to the lake and top it off there.

Thread Information