Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SHO supercharger mod on Drwing board

Hey guys im a Yamaha tech and i just got back from our watercraft update class and my rep told me there is no way to mess with the supercharger, after some long thought i might have found the answer for any gear heads that wont to get in on it. The supercharger has an air density sensor in it, when a certain reading is reached it stops and more boost and power out put preasure. I thin if u were to put a resistor inline with this sensor u could pretty much eliminate the gov. Meaning more teeth sprockets, and larger supercharger impellars. ANy feedback on the idea or im just a gearhead with too much time on his hands lol

thanks for all the info you've been contributing to this site trueblue. Nice to have someone on the inside.

Trueblue,

Would you happen to know if they have limited this thing due to potential instability in the hull at higher speeds? Have you heard anything that would support or deny that?

It seems like they are going above and beyond to keep this motor in standard tune, more than would be called for if they just wanted to satisfy the liability issues of an easily modded high-speed ski.

And yes - thanks for your support to the community on this!

I guess another option is that *Yamaha* wants to be the one to release this beast... with future models.

I'm curious where they'll go with this motor - if they stick by the speed limit, they can't do much more than make it accelerate insanely fast and then govern it at the top. They must have gone to 1800ccs for some other reason than a marketing number in the datasheets (or not).

Quote Originally Posted by TRuBLuE01 View Post
    The supercharger has an air density sensor in it, when a certain reading is reached it stops and more boost and power out put preasure.
    Hey Tru, thanks for contributing to this forum. Great to have a Yami tech on board.

Are you referring to the intake air pressure sensor located near the intake manifold or is it something else? I can't find any sensor on the supercharger based on what's on the 1st edition manual under the electrical components diagram.

One more thing, do you have access to information regarding how to repair cracked or dinged nanoxcel material? I'm trying to contact 2 of the 3 companies that helped Yamaha develop the nanoclay SMC and haven't gotten any replies yet.

+1
    Based on the reports from RIVA the ECU is needed to get around all the safe guards that kick in when modifying this engine. When the ECU is released, possibly summer, we are going to see some impressive hp and GPS#s. Maximum hull speed, overstuffing issues & fuel consumption maybe be other concerns as well. I was told 73-74 all day long with the Stage 1 kit.

So how much extra ££'s or $$$'s are we looking at sepnding to get it to near 75?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by T11OM F View Post
    So how much extra ££'s or $$$'s are we looking at sepnding to get it to near 75?

+1
    Drive by wire is killing you guys. There has to be safeguards and double checks built into the ecm. The ecm has to know the TP has not failed and the engine is using the proper air and fuel for the actual throttle position. If you go outside a set limit or boundary the ecm will most likely assume something has failed and go into limp mode.

Even if a new ecm comes out you will still be limited unless the new ecm completely removes the drive by wire safeguards and I would think no aftermarket company would want to touch that liability. What would be great is to be able to flash the ecm and change the ecm as needed.

Jason

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    Drive by wire is killing you guys. There has to be safeguards and double checks built into the ecm. The ecm has to know the TP has not failed and the engine is using the proper air and fuel for the actual throttle position. If you go outside a set limit or boundary the ecm will most likely assume something has failed and go into limp mode.

Even if a new ecm comes out you will still be limited unless the new ecm completely removes the drive by wire safeguards and I would think no aftermarket company would want to touch that liability. What would be great is to be able to flash the ecm and change the ecm as needed.

Jason
    Riva has already done it & it will be available by the end of summer. TBW is the future, Yamaha is just leading the way..........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information