Will a grate girdle absolutely make the grate rock solid?

I have a girdle coming for my intake grate. Pulled the grate today to get ready for the girdle install and found the rear bolt hole ready to fail--starting to pull the metal out and cracked around part of the circumferance of the hole.

At around 50 hours my first pump support failed. The plastic ramp cracked just behind the intake grate. Changed the grate and didn't think much of it. At around 90 hours my second pump support failed, same thing. Before putting the grate on the second go-round I noticed there was a hump at the rear bolt hole on the ride plate side. I thought this could cause the grate to rock and may possibly have caused the front ramp of the pump support to fail due to fatigue. I filed the land down flat. I wrote this off to a casting flaw. Today there is again, a large hump on the plate side of the grate as the hole is pulling through.

My questions are: Will the R&D girdle solve this issue. Since I need a new intake grate now, is the R&D grate any better than the Riva--all things considered.

Thanks,

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0285.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	622.6 KB 
ID:	64837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0994.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	64838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0995.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	64839  

+1
    Yes, the girdle beefs it up a lot.

The R&D grate is better in rough water but will make you slower on glass water. It's also prone to cracking the center bolt boss out if you don't use the girdle kit.

+1
    Mark the pump support is the same thing that I am working on now. Before I install the new support I plan on either using epoxy or some type of resin to fill in the voids in the bottom side of the support near the intake grate mounting holes. I hope by doing this and adding the R&D intake grate girdle that I will not have any further problems with the pump support.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Mark the pump support is the same thing that I am working on now. Before I install the new support I plan on either using epoxy or some type of resin to fill in the voids in the bottom side of the support near the intake grate mounting holes. I hope by doing this and adding the R&D intake grate girdle that I will not have any further problems with the pump support.
    Me too. I'm going to use JB weld waterweld putty type epoxy and fill in the voids in the pump tunnel when I put on the girdle kit on. I guess I'll stick with the Riva grate. If you have not pulled the pump support yet, use Jerrys idea with the come-a-long and purchase 4 I-bolts with the same metric thread as the pump support bolts (can't remember the thread size). Makes the job a lot easier.

Jerry: How much speed loss is there with the R&D in river type chop (4-18"), if you had to guess? Then I would not have to drill the extra holes in the Riva grate.

Thanks

Mark

Hey Just Added The Girdle Today When I Did My Speedfreaks Ride Plate ,the Center Hole Was Gone On My Riva Grate Also

+1
    I have the pump support out now. The fun begins now with attempting to remove all the old sealant from the hull

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    Me too. I'm going to use JB weld waterweld putty type epoxy and fill in the voids in the pump tunnel when I put on the girdle kit on. I guess I'll stick with the Riva grate. If you have not pulled the pump support yet, use Jerrys idea with the come-a-long and purchase 4 I-bolts with the same metric thread as the pump support bolts (can't remember the thread size). Makes the job a lot easier.

Jerry: How much speed loss is there with the R&D in river type chop (4-18"), if you had to guess? Then I would not have to drill the extra holes in the Riva grate.

Thanks

Mark

the girdle is pretty solid...check here

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48410

+1
    Agreed, the girdle will keep the grate in place, but the pump support breaking is a separate issue I think. Even with the girdle and grate solidly in place, I think water can get under the front of the pump support and tear it up yet. I think reinforcing the underside of the pump support is a good idea too ...

Thread Information