Itake Grate Bolt BROKEN...HELP!!!!

changed my oe grate to a riva grate before the weekend and rode hard all weekend. giving my ski an "after ride" check i noticed on the end of the grate with 3 bolts an outside bolt-head had broken off??!?!?! just the head broke off because i can see the shank still in the threads/hole. anyone have this problem before and/or how do i get it out? once i do get it out, if i can, do i have to order the bolt or is it a standard size? please help!! PR -thnx-

the only thing you could do is remove the entire grat and see if ya cant use some pliars or what ever those things are called that lock....and if that dont work ya may have to drill it out and retap the hole....

i had a bolt break off just like urs and i tried to get it out but it wouldn't move so i just siliconed it and i haven't had a problem with it since.

+1
    Carbide drill bit and an easy out is your best bet. I've busted bolts before and had to use a carbide bit to drill the center of the bolt large enough for the easy out. I had better luck with the square type instead of the spiral type. They are also known as Screw extractors.

http://toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

You guys have to remember this is a bolt threaded into a metal "socket" that is inserted into plastic. I would heat that bolt up enough that you can remove the metal "socket" with bolt from the plastic, then remove the bolt and epoxy the metal "socket" back into the plastic.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_
    You guys have to remember this is a bolt threaded into a metal "socket" that is inserted into plastic. I would heat that bolt up enough that you can remove the metal "socket" with bolt from the plastic, then remove the bolt and epoxy the metal "socket" back into the plastic.
    I've done this on a couple of XP and XPL's. It didn't work worth a shit. I ended up replaceing the entire pump support plate. I've also had those press in nuts pull out in other parts of Doo's and had marginal luck with epoxy. Mainly the cowling on my XPL, a part that doesn't take alot of force. I have a drawer full of different type threaded inserts and haven't found one that can take the force of an after market grate. I've had so-so luck with stock grates inserts.

Crap, thats the last thing I wanted to read.

I cracked my intake grate and all 3 bolts ripped right out.
    The middle bolt is totally cracked but the 2 side bolts are only missing the inserts.

Jerry did mention to try and marine epoxy some brass inserts and silicone like crazy, but I'm reading that it won't hold the Riva intake grate.

Only other option I could think of would be to spot weld or totally weld it to the ride plate :S

Anyone have other ideas? I don't have an aluminium spool gun yet Kind of broke to buy one right now too.

Stretch

I had one insert spin and I had to pull it out by ripping the intake grate. The plastic cracked badly where the insert went. What I did was install the insert with gorilla glue and then installed the grate with the other bolts. I think I used a floor jack to hold the grate up and make sure the expanding glue wouldn't pull anything apart. This is the riva grate and so far everything is holding up fine. I only have about 10 hours on it so time will tell, but I check after every ride and everything looks fine.

removing stock great

I also had one spin and I just pulled on the grate and it came out with a little force......went to the auto parts stor and got a threaded copper pushing in the help section ....cut smalll grooves in it to help hold it and epoxyed it in ......seems to be holding fine ......and once again Thanks to Jerry for the help on what to do fixing that prob

well guess I'll give it a try. If it fails, we'll just go to plan B (aluminium welding to the ride plate)

I also thought about putting little groove into the copper inserts to give the epoxy something to grab onto.

I called the dealer and they don't sell the inserts seperately... Unless someone has an exact part number?

If not, buying some brass couplers at Home Depot and grinding them down to fit would work right?

Stretch

Thread Information