Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

crank case vent hole "casting" flaw

Mine looks like it is where the machine process didn't finish the job more than a casting flaw. Has anyone removed the "casting" flaw. If so please give details. Some details of what i am planning/doing. Finally got around to removing my exhaust and diving into this project. Got an 08 hose and an extra crank case fitting for an 07. After looking closely at the deal it looks as if the flaw coupled with the fitting going into the hole to mount that it is restricting the flow by almost half. My fitting fits rather loosely into the block. I also didnt have much silicone at all in my fitting. Could explain why my gio wasnt as bad as alot of people's. The fitting is stainless. I use a mig regularly but dont have and have never used a tig so i am having someone do it for me. Finding the "right" size stainless steel tubing was a chore but i did locate it. It is .62 od with a wall thickness of .065. Inside diamater is just a tick shy of .5 Welding this up like sirbreaksalot did and maybe even letting the tube stick through the flange "slightly" (dont know the exact mesasurement) because the block is "grooved" so i can still use an o ring without a gasket. Tube through flange would not go into hole in block but just into groove for o ring. Dont know about the o-ring part yet- just an idea as it won't be welded up till later this week. It will all cost under 50 dollars for everything including new 07 fitting and 08 hose. Is anyone else doing anything like this other than sirbeaksalot or toquick250x? If so would love to hear what you are doing.
    Last edited by halfassjack; 03-30-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    I'll be doing it for sure.

I thought about cheating by getting the ski upside down and using reamers instead of drills to open up the case all while using compressed air in the block and vaccumn on the outside. That or just welding the tube to the flange, opening the hole in flange, and leaving the block alone.

I'm having a brain lock on this as it seems you could also "overfill" with a substance that could be frozen or foam or??? Just can't think....in order to keep the chips out of the pan. I know there is a better way than my first thought, and as safe as pulling the engine...it just not coming to me.

Post up your pics of your new SS tube placed on the block.

Halfa$$:...
    Do you plan on making a detail write up of what you did, what parts were used etc. I think only 2 guys have done the mod, they put a few hours on, so far so good from what they said. I'm awaiting a "backordered" vent system from R&D, if it get in soon, I may just stick to that route.

i will post back what i actually end up doing. I wont get my stainless tube/pipe until thursday, it looks like, as the place that had it couldnt find it in the messed up inventory so they had to order some more. I have to buy at least 12 inches of it so i will have some extra as i dont plan on using any more than about 1.5 inches at the most. I still cant figure out how to remove the unmachined/flaw out of the block. Still working on that part of the project.

+1
    So what method did you have in mind for opening up the unfinished bore?

+1

Update

As i posted above, I also have this "casting flaw" and expect everone else to have as well on an '07. It is actually where the factory did not fully complete the bore when machining.

The risk to remove this "flaw" is to great, and personally, I see NO benefit after looking much closer.

The way the crankcase is casted, this "nubby" does not reduce the bore as it would seem. This nubby sits low in the bore and AMPLE volume to more than exceed the exiting bore is available above this imperfection due to the way the case is casted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0400.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	72613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0402.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	72614  

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    same here,

I did remove mine but in all honestly, just leave it there, thats safer than getting shit in the sump,

I feel just with the increased size of the modded fittings, will do the biggest flow improvement.
    when compared to the STD style of fitting,

So in the big picture the nub will affect it stuff all,

update so far

oil level has been reLLY GOOD
    Have just about cleaned up my new catch can system between C/Case and VC ,
    will post when looks finished.

it is catching alot of the shit

Warren

ps just got my R&D Plate in the post and my 1 deg wedge, and the flat filter to put in.

cant wait to GPS the red pig

I decided to leave my casting/machineing flaw alone. The way the original fitting fit into the hole it would block alot of the flow. With my new fittng it does not protrude into the block and therefore, as you all know that has done this, doesnt have the problem that the factory fitting had with the casting/machineing flaw. Plus the size increase is quite alot. I want to thank sirbreaksalot for my motivation and great ideas in this matter. Like sirbreaksalot said i think with the "new style" fitting the machine flaw has very little effect on the flow of vapor. I will start a new thread soon about catch cans just to see what everyones ideas are about this. If sirbreaksalot doesnt beat me to it...lol.....he has alot of great ideas.

HAJ, I've ordered my parts for the tube replacement last week, I'm currently waiting for a response from BABBITS.com stating my order has shipped. Its been a week, and NADA, so I'm getting a little peeved about it. I'll shoot them a phone call and see whats up! As soon as I receive, head up to the welder, and hopefully install soon after.

stay tuned.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information