Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Impeller Seperated from drive shaft, Help!

Story
    I decided I really didn’t have the time to do the 100 hour myself, and I thought it would be a good idea for a formal checkup. So I took it in for the 100 hour Thursday, for it back Friday, took it out on the water Sunday, Broke down…. Had to be towed in….
    I had just got out of the no wake Zone, and I was starting to give it a little gas, then a bit more, then Loss of all thrust. I quickly killed power. Thought about it, then turned it back on for a second. Engine would Rev, but nothing happen. I don’t even think I put it over 3000 rpm. I was able to catch a tow back, and pulled it back on the trailer.
    Once I got the thing washed down and Dry, I was able to get under it and look at what was going on.
    Problem:
    My Impeller separated from the drive shaft, I have pictures below. I can freely spin the Impeller with a long screwdriver. It looks like it just rusted apart. I’m assuming that little plastic piece is supposed to snap into the impeller keeping the water out, so this doesn’t not happen.
    Has this ever happen to anyone before?
    Should the “licensed Sea-doo” dealer been able to see that this was a problem?
    Should I take it back to the dealer?
    How hard is it to remove this impeller to analyze the damage? Walk thru?
    If there is damaging rust build up on the shaft, can this be replaced easily?
    Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00017.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	64988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00026.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	64989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00031.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	64990  
    Last edited by Mccoy; 03-31-2008 at 07:52 AM.

few questions first,

1. warrenty? do you have one still?

2. According to pic #2 looks pretty rusted in there and will take some good beating to get it out. I would take it apart I think with all the rust you probably stripped the impeller. Gonna need a new one anyway to start the mods.

You might even need a new drive shaft also, others will chime in.

Gary

When you turn the impeller is the drive shaft moving?

I'm kinda wondering what the other end of the shaft looks like...

JP

I can move the impeller freely with a screwdriver, there is very little resistance. (Edit: Drive shaft dose not move)

The ski is not under warranty its 3 years old now, and just had the 100 hour, this was its first time back in the water after the maintance. I flush, and wash the ski down with salk away after every use, i guess this area was missed.
    Last edited by Mccoy; 03-31-2008 at 07:53 AM.

Most of the time its the drive shaft splines that strip but you may need a new prop aswell. I would take it back to the dealer and kick his ass!!. Part of the service is to check the pump, prop ware ring and grease up the splines on the drive shaft. (I grease mine every 10-20 hours.) They cant of done this or they would have seen that the drive shaft splines were worn.

Probley the best you can get out of them is free labour to do the job, as if they did the service correctly in the first place you still would have to pay for the parts.

Good luck with the dealer.

Mccoy... Take A Look At The Front Silent Block...maybe Itīs Broken And The Engine Goes Forwad

You might want to download the Owners Manual from Sea-Doo.com and print the 3-page Maintenance Chart so you will know exactly what the dealer should have replaced, inspected and lubricated. Then, you can check your receipt to see what they said they did. You might even take it with you incase there are any questions. The one thing missing from the chart is changing the pump grease. I thought it was required at 100 hours, but it's not on the chart. Let us know what they (or you) find... Ron

This is the check list that they did. I asked them about the 3rd pistons compression, they said it was 145, but they forgot to write it down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invoice.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	65060  

It seems to me that the impeller will need to be replaced, and Iím hoping the drive shaft is salvageable. Since this looks like its going to be required, I might as well think slight upgrades, and since it will need to be removed, what else should I looking into replacing while its taken apart, weather the deal or I do it.

I have always thought of keeping this thing Stock, so I donít know what upgrades I can do, Thoughts? I want to keep it cheap, but Iím almost positive the impeller is toast, so impeller should I go with? What else should be replaced if I change the impeller? Should the wear ring be replaced as well? What else should I do?

I will call the dealer Tuesday (tomorrow) and see what the story with them is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mccoy View Post
    What else should be replaced if I change the impeller? Should the wear ring be replaced as well?
    IIRC, the wear limit is .014" between the impeller blades and wear ring. When the impeller is out, just check the wear ring for groves or gouges. Some may suggest a SS wear ring instead of the plastic OEM ring... Ron

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information