Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New RXT is smoking

I just got my RXT it has 6 hours on it and the other day i saw smoke coming from the back(not to much). so i go back to shore and popped the seats off and i really couldnt see where the smoke was coming from. I then took it to the dealer and they couldnt find any burnt hoses or anything wrong at all. they said that it might have been steam from water hitting the engine from the bildge or something.

The morning before i rode i wasnt planning on going out and i had just cleaned the ski the night before so in the morning i sprayed it with XP-S which is like WD-40 which im sure evryone knew already. Is it possible that the smoke was XP-S burning off the hot engine.

it didnt start smoking till the ngine was warm to my knowledge

any Ideas?

+1
    Running rich would cause it to smoke. Not saying this is your problem or that there's any reason for it to happen, but it's a possibility..If you have oil or something with similiar burning properties in your exhaust system, even on the exhaust tip, it will smoke when burned..Unless it's a distinct burning smell accompanied with the smoke or your ski is giving you error codes, then I would not worry about it.

Yeah I got no error codes so this makes me feel better

My GTI smokes a bit when you first start riding. Actually it's more like steam or something. It comes out around the pump area at the rear. We've never had a problem.

+1
    exhaust gases come out of the pump tunnel and they will look like steam

+1
    There was another older thread where the ski did nto run great, smoked, etc. Turned out to be a cracked plastic exhaust resonator letting steam and exhaust into the hull ... how does yours run? I would ride it with the seat off to help pinpoint it too.

The ski runs like new there was no problem there but i havent taken it out since the day it happened like two almost three weeks ago im taking it out tommorow so well see what happens

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar

Thumbs up

it's the steam from your exhaust....normal. water cools hot exhaust gases=steam

edit: I'm assuming it dissapates barely above the water line (a few inches)

+1
    is it from inside the engine compartment or from under the rear of the ski(pump tunnel)
    could be residual oils burning off form your engine protectant, or steem from exhaust.
    or if a hose popped loose, or a pipe is cracked in the engine compartment exhaust gasses venting??

it comes out by the pump tunnel i took it out yesterday and it started after 2min. and never stoped until i cut off the engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information