Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stuck on the beach? No problem! mrvb1969's Avatar

polaris slt750 turbo noises

Took my slt750 out to the water for the first time this year, and noticed a noise that sounded like (for lack of a better description) the machine had a turbo charger in it (whining ,whirring) which it does not. I put a rebuilt SBT engine in it 3 seasons ago and have had absolutely no problems with it since. There is no noticeable loss of power. MFD does not show any overheating conditions, even though I rode the ski for about 20 mins before returning to shore. I am sure the problem is shaft, impeller, alignment, bearing related. Is it possible/common for the engine to become misaligned from bouncing down the road in travel?(I don't notice any change in the where the engine is mounted to the mounts) Or has a shaft bearing gone bad/ or in need of grease? I greased them before putting away last season. Just looking for some ideas.
    Thanks,
    Mike

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk mrv.

Does it make the noise while in the water?

Does it speed up with the engine RPM?

Maybe check the engine coupler cover.

Yes and Yes, I thought about the engine coupler cover, I checked it for freeplay, but did not remove it. That will be first on my list since it is the easiest to do. Thanks

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    If you've had some water leak into the stator bearings and then sit for awhile,it could be bearing noise from rust,etc. Might try it on the hose out of the water and see if you can isolate it.

I thought somebody said that they heard a similar noise and tried to make it back to the shore and ended up seizing up their pump as it was the pump bearings. Don't want to be an alarmist, but just recalled someone posting something with a similar issue and ended up being the pump bearings and they were warning others that it didn't take long to seize up the pump once it started to make the noise.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneG View Post
    I thought somebody said that they heard a similar noise and tried to make it back to the shore and ended up seizing up their pump as it was the pump bearings. Don't want to be an alarmist, but just recalled someone posting something with a similar issue and ended up being the pump bearings and they were warning others that it didn't take long to seize up the pump once it started to make the noise.
    +++1
    remove pump and shaft start ski and listen ...
    then you know wether or not to evan look into the pump bearings or shaft seals,,,,just a thought
    mattman

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneG View Post
    That was the post from BB Caprice,He buddy did that with his ski and waste everything.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas, this site is the greatest. I also read the post by BB Caprice after the fact, which of course increases my concern I aslo noticed somebody had posted avideo w/sound of how their ski sounded-need to listen to that one if it is truly how it should sound. Luckily enough, Keddano, my ski stays pretty dry, so i do not think it is the stator. The noise is definitley coming from the rear of the ski. I am going to try mattman's idea of removing shaft and pump and starting the ski. Do I have to be concerned with the motor "running away" from me with no load? I have actually replaced 4 motors in various types of skis with no problems, so i thought I had a pretty good understaning of operational theory. Just goes to show you how much more there is to PWC'S besides the motor and electrical!!
    Mike

+1
    Starting it on a hose and running it doesn't have anymore reason to run away without the prop, then with it, if it's out of the water.(Still no load) Just the unit being in the water running at all,can get water into the bearings if the seals and O-Ring are not perfect,Might pop the cone off and see if there any indication of water in there also.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvb1969 View Post
    ...Luckily enough, Keddano, my ski stays pretty dry, so i do not think it is the stator. The noise is definitely coming from the rear of the ski...
    There are TWO stators in the Polaris PWC;
    One is the electrical stator inside the flywheel.

The other is the fixed blade portion of the jet pump, which also contains the bearings for the impeller stub shaft, sealed under a cone shaped cover at the rear side of the pump stator.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information