Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OPAS Block-Off's and Leaking

I thought I would post a message on a recent experiance I had last weekend with my Doo leaking. I am more of a lurker but I thought I needed to post something on this subject for others who may do a key word search on the subject.

I just bought a brand new 2006 GTX N/A about a month ago. Before it even hit the water for the first time I Installed the Riva block off kit. And by the way, I couldn't be happier with the quality of their kit. The first couple of times I took it out I found no problems. However, this last weekend when I was puttng around for a while in a no-wake zone I started to notice that I sitting much lower in the water. When I pulled the seat to look in the hull I found that water had leaked in to around an inch above the drive shaft. So I instantly got it on a slow plane. Just enough to get the bailers working and keep the water to the back of the hull. My fear right now was sinking and ingesting water. So when I got it back to camp I beached it and then quickly got it on the trailer.

Now is when the investigation comes in. I pulled the Doo out of the water and inspected every inch of the hull looking for the water that is in the hull to leak back out. Nothing. I then drained the boat and lowered it back in the water. When I looked in the hull I could definatetly see water coming in from the rear starbord side but could not tell from exactly where. And it wasn't just trickling in but rather pouring in at a good rate. So wherever the water was coming in at was sure to be a good size hole. I inspected both block off plates and exhaust but could not see anthing that looked like it could leak that much. I also couldn't understand how the boat could be fine on two previous rides and then leak so badly all of a sudden. My next idea was to pull the block off plates, re-silicon them, and reinstall them. So here I go again. The boat goes back in the water and once again starts leaking. (Insert Curse Words Here). So as it's leaking I am hanging upside down like a monkey trying to get hand down in that crevis as far as I can. I stretch and stretch, and then I get it. It's that stupid hose that goes to the OPAS. There are two of them that go to a tee that bolts to the hull above the pump. As soon as I lift the hose high enough above the water line the leaking stops. That stupid hose was acting like a syphen. I know that some of you are thinking that I didn't cap off that little bib that hangs down above the pump. Well let me tell you that I did. And not only that the cap was still on and clamped down securely. My next test was to block off one of the hoses with my thumb, blow through the other and have my girlfriend listen around where the bib is. I blew through that hose like there was nothing on the other side. My girlfriend said she could definately hear it coming from that plastic peice. Alright, enough is enough I'm thinking. This is not makng sense. I then tell her "You blow and I'll listen". (Insert joke here). To my amazement not only could I hear it I could feel it leaking from somewhere above where it is capped off. How can this be. I doesn't make any sense. I could understand if the that plastic unit was broke, defective, or not installed correctly. But if that were true the water would be leaking through the hull where that piece bolts in and not through the hoses. So as a temporary fix I installed a garden hose repair coupling to both OPAS hoses and coupled the two ends together. This got me through the weekend.

I am going to examine this thing more once I get back to the River, but for now here is my suggestion for those with block offs.

DO NOT trust that little cap that you clamped on to the distribution tee that bolts to your Hull above the pump.

Buy two more caps and clamp them on where the OPAS hoses connect to the tee inside the boat.

Hopefully someone will make a plate and we can all just remove that part completely.

Mark

i joined the hoses when i did mine for back up

the ppg kit has a plate for that

I think ppg makes a plate. Others here have had the same exact problem.

I think that is what resulted in this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t_img_5350_197_217.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	3984  

+1
    LOL. Sorry Kinchyle, but that picture will never be not funny. Kind of like monkeys and fart noises.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_
    I think ppg makes a plate. Others here have had the same exact problem.

I think that is what resulted in this
    still funny but worse when your shit sinks.

Mrbriddle I love you
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forum/viewt...?p=70662#70662

I didn't take ANY chances and went straight to shore when I saw the sinking. I probably could have made it back to my trailer but it would have been a 10 minute ride.

From the photos that Kinchyle posted you can see that the distributer line appears to be made in two pieces. The main black piece and a white piece that is pressed into the main body. Above where the cap is clamped down you can see an opening within the main body where white inner piece is visible. This is where my leak is. It flows in and out through one of the hoses inside the boat. Once the syphen starts, it continues on its own very rapidly. To put another way, my boat filled to above the drive shaft and to the bottom of the battery within minutes. So again I will repeat myself.

If you still have the OPAS distributer in your boat, Remove is or Cap it.

I am very impressed with the quality of Riva parts. But why they wouldn't include a plate here is beyond me.

My throttle body is at the front of the engine and my intake is somewhere near the gas tank, so hopefully the engine didn't take in any water.

Mark

exactly! what mine did!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinchyle
    Mrbriddle I love you
    Kinch are you turning on us?

Na mbriddle saved me some face.
    Yall gave me crap about something that just didn't happen.

I said before people are going to start seeing it.
    I'm sorry he had to go through it but I'm glad it's known that Riva is doing shortcuts on there RXT opas block off.

Mbriddle and I ended up ok at the end of the day but I couldn't imagine if this happened to me during some 50 degree water and if I didn't have my rear intake I would have swallowed water and been stranded out in some 50 degree water. The ski also takes on so much water you can't even stay on it. You would have to swim it back to shore. mbriddle was lucky enough to keep his plane. I had another rider on board so I know he could imagin how quick mine went down.

I've said it once, now I've said it twice.
    someone could really get hurt from not doing a 25 dollar fix. Especially if they have another rider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information