im in BIIGGGG trouble..need advice

this is yet another seadoo/brp/service/dealer/warranty battle. its kinda a long story....

over the winter, i brought my ski (60 hours on it) to my dealer (which at the time had a damn good service manager and tech) for 50 hour service. they found that compression on my on the #2 cylinder was down (125/105/145). they pulled everything apart and found that my exhuast valve was leaking. this is a direct quote off of the invoice:

"sprayed foggin lube in cylinder, compression came up to 125, cylinders holding"

im still trying to figure out what "cylinders holding" means, it didnt "hold" for long. anyways, during the time when they had the machine apart, i figured they could throw some parts on there for me, they installed prop, wedge, grate, riva sc imp. got the ski back, it ran great. i put on an air intake and riva exhaust.

when i had 10 hours on the new head i did a compression check. guess what i found....130/100/130 . brought it back to the dealer (at this point they had new service manager, the good guys left, gee I wonder why). they took it apart, they told me i STILL had an exhaust valve leak (meaning the SAME THING I HAD 10 HOURS AGO!!) and one of the piston rings dropped. after telling me that they then told me that they cant cover it becuase of my aftermarket parts. they said that the air intake, sc imp, and exhaust put extra strain on the motor and thats why it failed again.

At this point I was mad but figured I would just go to another dealer. Well, I decided to call a very reputable dealer, one that I could trust. I was completely honest with him, I told him the entire story. The first thing he did was kind of snicker (like in disbelief) the second thing I heard was “that’s bullshit”. He then explained to me that it would be very difficult, in fact impossible, to get brp to authorize a claim for something that had already been fixed. Even though he understood my situation, he doesn’t want to get involved with somebody else’s work, not to mention he would have to fight brp to get paid. His advice was to call seadoo and tell them what happened and see if they can get another dealer (preferably him) to work on it.

I understand his situation, but it puts my back against the wall. Even if it was a completely stock machine, if I take it to another dealer and play dumb, they’ll eventually run the VIN and find that the head was replaced by XXXX dealer. Once they make the connection they will simply tell me to take it back to where I got it fixed the first time (because they wont be able to get the claim authorized from brp).

Im very open to advice at this point. I can call brp, in fact I will call them tomorrow. But my past experience tells me that will be completely pointless. What would you guys do?

Did it perform any different with the #2 down ? Did you know something was wrong or were just bringing it in for maint ?

Maybe the problem was never corrected properly the first time!!! If you didn`t do a compression test yourself, how would you know if it were fixed!?

I would atleast ask for leagal advice, so you know where you stand, knowledge is power...PR...

from the begining it didnt feel 100%, i think i even posted about how i switched from stock air box the 4" air intake and found no rpm increase. that was at about 2 hours on the new head. i would bet big money that it was still f'd up when i picked it up from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    Maybe the problem was never corrected properly the first time!!! If you didn`t do a compression test yourself, how would you know if it were fixed!?

I would atleast ask for leagal advice, so you know where you stand, knowledge is power...PR...
    i wasnt smart enough to do a compression test on the spot. at the time i had no reason not to trust them.

I wonder if you could hear the burnt valve in the exhaust note/tone??? I don`t know if the water injection would cancel out the miss/spit sounds...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider
    I wonder if you could hear the burnt valve in the exhaust note/tone??? I don`t know if the water injection would cancel out the miss/spit sounds...PR...
    now that u mention it......not recently but last year. i first noticed it when my sc clucth went at 14 hours. i would turn it on and it wouldnt sound as loud as it previously did. i didnt hear any missing or spitting. it just didnt have the same "depth". in fact when i got the ski back and first started it up, i immediatly turned to my dad an said that it wasnt fixed, cause i could tell it sounded the same as when the sc clutch went out. after water testing it, i realized the clutch was fixed i installed a non-res power pipe. it was all good after that, didnt notice anything...until the fall rolled around. it was starting to get cold and i would only come home every 3 weeks from college. one weekend when i was home, i realized that it again didnt sound as loud or has much "depth" as it used to, even with the power pipe. once it warmed up, it sounded normal. i just figured it was doing it cause it cold and needed to be warmed up. a few weeks later when i took it in for the 50 hor service, they told me my exhaust valve was leaking.... does any of that make any sense???

welp, just got off the phone with brp customer service...what a fuckin joke. this is direct quote "brp is responsible for factory defects, not dealer workmanship". o thats a new one. i basically then said "so if they didnt fix it right the first time".......she immediatly cut me off and said "you need to go back to the dealership and work it out with them", then she kept asking me why aftermarket parts were on the ski........becuase ITS SLOW YOU STUPID BITCH!!!!!

what a waste of 5 minutes of my life. im not sorry to say that i will never piss away another penny on a seadoo/brp product. if somebody gave me a seadoo, i would immediatly sell it.

+1
    *sigh* Doccument every little thing that went on-- every conversation, phone call (date, time person, phone bill record), letter, invoice, email exchange, ect ect ect. Write it down now and as it happens so you wont forget anything or get events mixed up.

I hate to say it, but its time to contact your atty for a quick consult and a letter to the dealer from his office, demanding specific remedies and a time frame.

Good luck with all this mess !!

Thread Information