Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydroturf

Hydroturf

What is everybody doing about the rivet holes when applying hydroturf mats w/ the 3M tape installed? Just putting mats over without leaks? Or filling it from the top?

Thanks

I filled mine with the gel coat repair kit I ordered to fix some other stuff.... I wouldn't recommend this because it involved more sanding then I wanted to get into. It did turn out nice when all said and done.

Honestly I think the trick is to get the rivets pushed half way back into the ski and leave them there. Use an epoxy that levels itself. So there is no need for sanding.

Your other option is something like JB weld stick.... That would actually work really well because your have just enough time to make sure its nice and smooth/flat....thus eliminating the need to sand.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kp04rxp View Post
    I filled mine with the gel coat repair kit I ordered to fix some other stuff.... I wouldn't recommend this because it involved more sanding then I wanted to get into. It did turn out nice when all said and done.

Honestly I think the trick is to get the rivets pushed half way back into the ski and leave them there. Use an epoxy that levels itself. So there is no need for sanding.

Your other option is something like JB weld stick.... That would actually work really well because your have just enough time to make sure its nice and smooth/flat....thus eliminating the need to sand.
    I was thinking the pads might do enough sealing. I think I will end up with the JB stick or just using some sealant and wiping smooth so it's even, after pushing the rivets down a bit.

Yea that prob what I would do if I had to do it all over again... But I wouldn't just leave it up to the mats to seal it... Def fill the holes for extra security.... No need for any water dripping in there god forbid.

Your other option is something like JB weld stick.... .
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. jb or some marine epoxy putty. Easy to work with and make smooth. It doesnt have to look perfect because the new mats are going over it

epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by dv8rxp View Post
    Thats exactly what I was thinking. jb or some marine epoxy putty. Easy to work with and make smooth. It doesnt have to look perfect because the new mats are going over it
    Since I have sealant here and no epoxy don't you think using that to fill the level difference and then wiping would do the same job? My objective is to just make sure there is no passage for water..

As you know DV8, I am already going nuts worrying about leaks after the blockoffs and rear exhaust.

When you say sealant do you mean silicon like ultra black? If so I guess that would prob work alright but If it were me I'd still use the jb weld or epoxy and just make it permanant...

yea he sealent you have will work just fine, but if it was me I'd go with the jb or the epoxy because it will make for a much more solid repair.

man I'm always slow to the punch

yes

When you say sealant do you mean silicon like ultra black? If so I guess that would prob work alright but If it were me I'd still use the jb weld or epoxy and just make it permanant...
    I was going to use ultra black. You are correct about being somewhat temporary, but it will at least create a seal, thus doing what I need it to do. Plug I will probably replace the mats after a year. I do dumb ish like that a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information