Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bilge pump

+1

Bilge pump

Ive just brought this pump for the rxp what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
    Ive just brought this pump for the rxp what you think
    Good insurance against sinking. That one should work fine. Are you putting in a float switch or just a manual switch?

+1
    its completely auto has its own built in floating switch.Im going to wire it to plug 2 pin 20 pin 2 on the mpem.

Quote Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
    its completely auto has its own built in floating switch.Im going to wire it to plug 2 pin 20 pin 2 on the mpem.
    Careful about wiring it into the ski wiring. Not sure how many amps that pump pulls but it could upset the mem / ecu. I also do not know how many amps the ecu will support. I would wire it direct to the battery with a manual switch hidden in the glove box and turn it on while riding. I know it's convenient to have it come on automatically with the ski plugged in but you sure don't want to overload the ski circuits.
    Anyone else have an opinion?

would you need a switch if its connected to the batt if its auto?
    where did you get the pump from top banana

Quote Originally Posted by rior1 View Post
    would you need a switch if its connected to the batt if its auto?
    where did you get the pump from top banana
    No, you would not need a switch if it has a mechanical float switch so when it's off it is really off, not drawing any sensing current from the battery. If it draws any current when it is off then you would need a switch. Some of the Johnson pumps have a sensing circuit, not a mechanical switch.

I would Wire it to directly to the battery with a switch. Put a inline fuse on the positive line. I have the same pump I think it said 4 amps fuse in the instructions. This way when your ski is sitting in the water it always has power even with the key dissconected. This was suggested by many people when i was doing my install. I think its better to avoid tapping into the mpem if not needed.

As for how the pump works i couldnt tell you its never turned on and i hope it never has too

+1
    Just use the ECM to trigger a relay.
    Simple and safe.

If you need help I could draw it out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    I would Wire it to directly to the battery with a switch. Put a inline fuse on the positive line. I have the same pump I think it said 4 amps fuse in the instructions. This way when your ski is sitting in the water it always has power even with the key dissconected. This was suggested by many people when i was doing my install. I think its better to avoid tapping into the mpem if not needed.

As for how the pump works i couldnt tell you its never turned on and i hope it never has too
    +1

TB did you check this out?

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=958

and don`t forget about when the trailer is going over bumps, it will trip the switch enough for pump to come on when bouncing over rutts or pot holes.

wire it up to the battery, positive and negative, depending on certain model pumps, they will cycle every 20 sec to 2 minutes and more...

also if you used a lighted swith or switch panel with light, you know the pump has juice. some panel have a fuse holder built in... take your time, choose wisely...just my 2 cents...

Here a picture of my switch in my GloveBox. My pump has a float in it. When the float is raised about 2-3/4" it starts going untill the float switched drops back down. Pretty much the exact same thing as a Sump pump in your house. With this switch i also have a manual override switch. Before i put her in the water i push the manual button and make sure i can hear it cranking so i know its working properly. Keep in mind with that you need to buy a pump with the manual buttom option wire built into it (so theres 3 wires total coming off the pump)

Ignore the switch to the far right of the panel that was for my bilge blower, got it from a friend that wasnt using it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 164.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	65376  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information