Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help: Changing Wear Ring on 2004 Sportster 155hp

Trying to change the wear ring on my sporster using the freezer method, got the reverse bucket off, unhooked the steering and shift cables, and removed the 4 allen screws on the support bracket. Now i cant get the bracket out because part of the shift cable goes through the bracket and I cant figure out how to get it free. Once i get that loose, the bracket can come out and I can take the 4 nuts off to take the pump out. Just cant figure out how to get that shift cable out of that bracket. Thanks for your help.

There's a cotter pin that's holding an odd shaped piece of plastic that's holding in your shift cable assembly. The pin just goes through a small hole, and its legs are bent to keep it in place. Bend the two parts of the pin together that are separated, so that the entire pin can exit the hole. Now the odd-shaped plastic piece will be able to be lifted out of the way, along with the shift cable assembly.

Scott,

I have already removed that cotter pin, and that plastic cap lifted off, however, the metal piece underneath is still attached (stuck?) to the bracket. Maybe some WD40 and that thing will come loose, I didnt want to go prying on it and break it if it is somehow attached to the bracket.

As far as I know, and my experience is only limited to my '07, but there's nothing else holding that in. Once you get the pin and plastic piece out, it should just lift out. Perhaps being an '04, some corrosion has developed that's holding the pieces together, so yes, WD-40 will help that. Spray it and let it soak for 15 minutes. Now that you have the bolts out of the reverse-support assembly (which are also the bolts holding on the venturi), you should be able to twist and rotate that assembly, which should break to two parts free.

If for some reason that doesn't work, attach a picture of the area.

Scott,

It was just stuck in there from corrosion, a little persuasion with a pry bar got it out. Got the whole thing out, It has a plastic (composite) pump. The wear ring was half way gone, which should account for the cavitation problem. The wear ring is different than others I have seen, it is black with a lip at the intake end. Dont know what part number it is, going to have to head down to the seadoo dealer i guess.

Thanks again for your help.

David

Your wear ring part number is 271000653, and is the same wear ring that's used on the N/A skis such as the GTI & 3D.

Sea-Doo's parts site is pretty handle in figuring out part numbers and cross-referencing parts with skis (which are more readily available): http://www.sea-doo.com/en-US/Products/Parts.htm

Scott,

When i get on that site it says my part # is 267000021, which when i search the internet it says has been replaced by 267000104. Do you think that site is right or it is the number you said?

That was just a test.............

Yeah, glad you looked, forgot 2004 was still in the age of 2-strokes, and that's the Sportster I was looking at, not the 4-Tec. So, your wear ring is the same part number as the naturally-aspirated 4-Tec skis.

Scott,

Actually wrong again. My is a 2004 Sportster 4-tec and if you look that up on the site above it lists the part I mentioned. I really appreciate all of your help.

David

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, that I first accidentally looked at the 2-stroke Sportster, but since yours is a 4-Tec, you found the right part number (267000021), and instead of it matching the 2-stroke skis (GTI, 3D), your part number is the same as the 155hp skis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information