Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which Jetski to get next?

Hi,

Currently I have 03 Seadoo GTX DI. Have done about 12 hours since buying it. I would have done about 3 times that amount but I have had issues with the ski.

Looking forward to next summer I am thinking of buying a brand new jet ski and I been doing some research and I am not sure which way to go. We want a 3 seater ski that will be used out in the ocean 98% of the time. The ski will be used for fun at the beach and towing a tube. At most it will have 2 adults on it and a tube behind it. I will not race it but would like something that will have a bit of go and I can have fun with. So something that can be trown around a bit but still be fun for family. Also it needs to be reliable. I am a bit disapointed with my 2 stroke and reliability.

Here are the 3 I have narrowed it down to (ride away prices in Australia):
    2008 Seadoo GTI SE 155Hp ($18500 AUS)
    2008 Kawasaki STX-15F 160HP ($19000 AUS)
    2008 Yamaha FX HO 160HP ($21000 AUS)

Here is what I think:

FXHO
    Pros:
    • Looks the best and good colours
    • Features such as trim (VTS)
    • Would be the most comfortable
    Cons:
    • Expensive
    • Least fun out of the 3??? Slowest.
    • High revving engine, peak power at 10000rpm+
    • Smallest engine of the 3
    STX-15F
    Pros:
    • Fun factor
    • Performance (very fast according to what I have read)
    • Good value
    • Aftermarket potential
    • Biggest engine of the 3
    • Light for its size
    Cons:
    • Does not look the best, looks a bit dated.
    • Bad in rough water?
    • Not the most comfortable, I am 6'4" tall.
    • No VTS
    • Plian compared to FXHO
    GTI SE
    Pros:
    • Fun factor
    • Best value
    • Looks better then 15F
    Cons:
    • Seadoo, how reliable?
    • No VTS
    • Horrible 08 colours
    • Plain compared to FXHO
    For me the STX-15F seems like the best bang for buck but I have read that it is not a comfortable ski for tall people and it not the best in rough water. We generally go when it is nice and calm but I am a bit concerned about the size of the ski and low seat etc.

What does everyone thing? Which of the 3 would be the most reliable and fun?

How good is the STX-15F?? Will I regret it in the long run buy saving a few 1000 up front?

There is a member here named Bernie who is from Perth. He runs a ski rental place down there. I bet he would be a good guy to hook up with and might have some dealer contacts. Shoot him a PM

+1
    Another member just had his stx-15f shipped to him and his price was about $6000 less then what you are getting quoted.

He had this,

Costs are expected to be:
    • purchase price of $7572US incl delivery to Long Beach
    • expected $1600US shipping fee Long Beach to Brisbane (via www.import-a-boa.com.au ). This fee gets it cleared through customs etc also
    • $300 insurance (import-a-boat insurance excess was $5K so took out my own insurance)
    • $1000 AUD for a single axle Trailer
    • GST of close to $1000AUD

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    make me an offer on my 250x and i will have it shipped to australia.

pm me for details..... i will almost guarantee it will be roughly 3000 AUD cheaper when it is all said and done

Quote Originally Posted by thesepaperwings View Post
    Another member just had his stx-15f shipped to him and his price was about $6000 less then what you are getting quoted.

He had this,

Costs are expected to be:
    • purchase price of $7572US incl delivery to Long Beach
    • expected $1600US shipping fee Long Beach to Brisbane (via www.import-a-boa.com.au ). This fee gets it cleared through customs etc also
    • $300 insurance (import-a-boat insurance excess was $5K so took out my own insurance)
    • $1000 AUD for a single axle Trailer
    • GST of close to $1000AUD
    Yes I saw the thread in the Kawasaki section. I will have to find out if the local Kawasaki dealer will touch the ski if something goes wrong with it. As far as I know we only have one Kawasaki jet ski dealer in Perth, which is why they can charge what ever they like. Over east they are selling the 15F for $17500.

I will see how the above import goes and will consider it. I guess that goes for any jet ski if imported for the US. I could get one of the big guns for around $15000 all up.

I'm 6'3, and have a 15F, and ride 99% ocean. Yes, its a little low, but dosent bother me much. Your only riding for no more than an hour at a time, so no big deal IMO. Its QUICK, but not the fastest. Reliability wise, they are pretty darn reliable! I've got 130 hours on mine, and no issues at all! Its never seen the inside of a shop! Even have the extended warrenty, and never used it! I have towed a tube, and water skier. The skier was ~220lbs, he poped right up NO PROBLEM. Its an enexpensive ski for what ya get. Cant go wrong IMO.

Or you can Get a 250x...

+1
    Just another thought,

Friends of mine here in FL have had incredible experiences with thier Honda skis. A couple of them have over 400hrs and still running like the day the bought them. I haven't looked thru the Honda forum to see if there are any inherent issues with them just speaking from personal experience on 3 skis. I haven't seen any other boat around me have a better track record where we ride.

Also the gas mileage on the Honda is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Just another thought,

Friends of mine here in FL have had incredible experiences with thier Honda skis.
    They are pretty expensive from having a quick look. I have no doubt that build wise them might the the best. The 3 seater Turbo is 24k, which is the same as an SHO, RXT-X of Ultra250. The 135HP look ok but I think they will not compare to the other 3 seaters in terms of performance. I had a look at a 135HP 2 seater, which was pretty small and they had those for $16500 on the water.

I can hold off until our next summer and hepofully the 09 range will come trough and Kawasaki might do some cosmetic changes to the 15F.

Hopefully the there are a few nice weekend over the next few months so I can get a few more hours use out of the GTX
    Last edited by XtRmn8; 04-03-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    make me an offer on my 250x and i will have it shipped to australia.

pm me for details..... i will almost guarantee it will be roughly 3000 AUD cheaper when it is all said and done

Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    I am not going to buy for another 6 months.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information