Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Water Flow in the Intercooler

Does anyone know the path of the water flow inside the intercooler? There are two inlets and a single outlet. The top inlet is from the engine and facilitates fresh water flushing but also introduced warm water into the intercooler. Do the two inlet water streams mix at some point? If the top inlet were used as the sole source of inflow would the entire intercooler be charged by the single inflow? I'm considering closing off the lower inlet and rerouting the hose to the upper inlet. I would also install a T in the outlet to send the water from the engine out with the outflowing water from the intercooler. My thought in doing this is to supply the intercooler with only cold water by eliminating the warm water from the engine. I know this won't be as effective as the R&D kit but I don't want to blow any new hols in my hull. Will this work?

+1
    The top mixes with the water coming in from the pump line at the bottom.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    The top mixes with the water coming in from the pump line at the bottom.
    Does the mixed water then circulate through the entire intercooler then exit?

+1
    no the water inlets on the bottom right side looking towards the front and the exhaust outlet mixes at the top and then both run out the other side bottom of the intercooler through the hose and discharges out the rear of the hull.

+1
    Does this mean that both inlets feed a contineous loop of tubes that exit a single hole? I have to assume that they share a loop or else the entire intercooler couldn't get flushed from the inlet coming from the engine. Therefore, I wouldn't neet put a tee after the greco strainer. I could mearly close off one inlet and supply the other with the cold water and still supply the entire intercooler with cold water while eliminating the hot from the engine.

+1
    The water makes a first pass mixes at the top and makes the second pass to the outlet.

Flushing fills from the top and drains out both sides.

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Dave and i were talking the other day about this....JW, are you confirming the intercooler is divided in the middle per se', such as the lower right inlet fills half the fins (right side) up to the top and then runs across and down the left section to exhaust?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    Dave and i were talking the other day about this....JW, are you confirming the intercooler is divided in the middle per se', such as the lower right inlet fills half the fins (right side) up to the top and then runs across and down the left section to exhaust?
    yes

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Looks like then to avoid penetrations, the lower inlet must remain and then tee the exhaust (hot water) dicharge similar to the factory bilge setup is configured at the pump, located as close as possible to the through hull exit fitting.

Then add a stubby hose with a barb/female hose thread fitting or quick disconnect to flush at top of intercooler.

There may or may not be an advantage to split the inlet by routing: one to bottom - one to top. Just by getting rid of the hot water period should show an improvement and reduce detonation. Maybe enough for the rec rider to utilize a midgrade fuel?? (however the $.10 per gallon diff is not worth the risk IMO)

Since the hot air is introduced to the warm side of the intercooler first, the design makes perfect sense. Thanks for the confirm JW

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by earthshaker View Post
    Looks like then to avoid penetrations, the lower inlet must remain and then tee the exhaust (hot water) dicharge similar to the factory bilge setup is configured at the pump, located as close as possible to the through hull exit fitting.

Then add a stubby hose with a barb/female hose thread fitting or quick disconnect to flush at top of intercooler.

There may or may not be an advantage to split the inlet by routing: one to bottom - one to top. Just by getting rid of the hot water period should show an improvement and reduce detonation. Maybe enough for the rec rider to utilize a midgrade fuel?? (however the $.10 per gallon diff is not worth the risk IMO)

Since the hot air is introduced to the warm side of the intercooler first, the design makes perfect sense. Thanks for the confirm JW
    Been there done that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information