Oh no! Another "Newbie"!!

Hello everyone!

I am the recent proud owner of my first pwc, an '01 GP 1200R. I have ridden everything from stand ups to SUV's and finally took the plunge for real! I picked up the ski from a guy who only rode it a few times and didn't like it. He ended up getting a jet boat (aka pwc for fat boys). I can say that because I'm 6'3 and a lean, mean 280 lbs!

I am very mechanically oriented. Back in the day I was a Honda mechanic and am comfortable with a wrench. I was going over the ski, tightening, lubricating, generally snooping around and noticed that the grease fitting for the bearing housing was not where it was supposed to be. It was laying loose in the bottom of the bilge. I think this ski was overhauled recently and a few minor details were overlooked.

Herein lies my problem. According to the manual, that housing should be greased once a year. I applied some good teflon marine grease and noticed that is was taking a lot. I kept checking both sides of the housing as well as the fitting and didn't see any grease coming out. After about 4-5 good pumps of the gun, I finally crawled my big butt under there and low and behold there was a good amount of grease coming out of the shaft hole. I have been looking at the parts diagram and am wondering if I have messed up bigtime and need to replace the seals now or what?

Any advise will be much appreciated!

United States

Welcome to the forum!!

You should be OK on the seals. Never heard of anyone blowing it out and think its actually trapped in there when bolted to the ski.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seal and liner 003.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	65480  

Thread Information