SL 650 / 750 Pump Rebuild Question

Hello,

I have both a 750 and 650. Before I start riding this year I would like to rebuild both the pumps. I was looking at the rebuild kits from atlantic jet sports and they are about $50 for a bunch of bearings and seals. My question is if all the seals and bearings are fairly standard? I'd rather go to my local SFK dealer and probably pay half the price. Also is regular marine grease ok to pack the bearings with?

+1
    Yes they are stock bearings and seals. I will try and get you the numbers. They are posted somewhere.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I think the bearings in the jet pump are standard fare, but I don't know exactly which sizes they are.
    Per beerdart, of course
    Polaris Pump Stator Bearings and Seal Numbers 1994 Thru 2004

Bearing 6304 20mm X 52mm X 15mm Wide Double sealed
    Seal 30mm X 55mm x 7mm Wide with stainless spring Lip style A

Which model years are your 650 and 750 (and which models - SL, SLT)?

The 1992 & 1993 Polaris jet pumps were different than 1994 onwards. If you have pre-1994 pump(s), you might consider upgrading to the modular type, which offers better performance in all versions, and some further upgrade possibilities.

While you have the pump out out, check the impeller to pump wear ring clearances. Download the beerdart re-scanned PDF 1992-1998 Service manual, if you have not done so already.

Also check (or change) the bearings and seals in the through hull drive shaft fitting, and the drive shaft and impeller splines for excess wear.

If the impeller clearance is larger than spec, or the impeller blades and/or pump stator vanes look sad, now is the time to change the things that need changing.

Have you done the other common Polaris Fuji engined upgrades and maintenance items, such as replacing the fuel lines, servicing the fuel selector valve, cleaning the carbs, etc?
    Last edited by K447; 04-02-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Beerdart posted the bearing part numbers

Thanks for the bearing numbers. Both are SLs, have the newer pump, and I have done most of the updates on the fuji. I am also going to replace all the fuel lines before riding this year & clean carbs. I replaced one fuel selector. I have two more questions:

- The BRP fuel selector for the 96 XP. Is it exactly the same or is Res and On interchanged from the Polaris?

- Had some problems with the 750 on the last ride. Posted my problem, but didn't really get an answer. So here goes again: On the last ride When riding at full throttle, it sometimes all of a sudden droped the rpms to 5000. When it bogged, I tried pulling the choke, only to have it bog more. Usually If I release the throttle, then floor it again, the revs come back up. Almost seems if I am losing a spark on a cylinder for a moment. I pulled the plugs, all look like normal. Over the winter I bought a coil on e-bay. I need a way of finding out which cylinder cuts outs. Any ideas? Also would a going bad stator cause this problem?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    ...I have two more questions:

- The BRP fuel selector for the 96 XP. Is it exactly the same or is Res and On interchanged from the Polaris?

- Had some problems with the 750 on the last ride. Posted my problem, but didn't really get an answer. So here goes again: On the last ride When riding at full throttle, it sometimes all of a sudden droped the rpms to 5000. When it bogged, I tried pulling the choke, only to have it bog more. Usually If I release the throttle, then floor it again, the revs come back up. Almost seems if I am losing a spark on a cylinder for a moment. I pulled the plugs, all look like normal. Over the winter I bought a coil on e-bay. I need a way of finding out which cylinder cuts outs. Any ideas? Also would a going bad stator cause this problem?
    Thanks
    Do a search for Seadoo on the Polaris forums, there have been a few posts regarding using the Sea-Doo fuel selector. The positions are different, not just reversed, but I do not recall exactly what the difference was (vertical vs. left-right positions, perhaps?).

RPM drop - You might try removing the spark plug boots, and shortening the ignition wires by 1/4" or so. A number of owners have reported that that solved rough running, or power loss, problems. Even if it doesn't fix it for you, it is easy to do. I think the boots just unscrew from the wires for the Fuji engines - check the Service manual.

Thread Information