Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help! 03 Gpr1300. Seized!

Hi. I have a 2003 Yamaha GPR1300. I bought the ski used last summer. It only had 39 hours on it when i got it. First day i had the ski on the water it seized up on me within the first 45 minutes. the guy that i got it from said they rode it for one summer when he first got it then put it in storage until i bought it from him. Why are these ski's seizing up so much. and also i have a buddy that has 1300 with the riva stage 2 kit and he has had the head crack on it twice. can anyone give me some ideas and answer? Let me know. THANKS!

+1
    First thing first. You're only assuming the previous owner never had any issues with the craft. The piston could of seized before and instead finding the root problem the previous owner could of just swapped new parts and sold the craft.

Second, 2 main root causes of seized pistons are, water intrusion and lack of lubrication. Not saying detonation isn't a main cause, but mostly for non stock applications. When you tear down your engine you will need to find what caused your seized, probably 1 of the 2 problems I just mentioned.

Once you fix you craft it might be a good idea to get a block-off kit and just premix to always be on the safe side. The 03 gpr are pretty good reliable machines for the most part. They have their issues, but what craft doesn't.

With a gpr seizing, I think you will find on stock craft this isn't an issue at all, but once you start modifying your craft the reliability will go down and being prone for issues will go up. Not saying everybody that modifies their craft will have issues. But if you look at the number of gprs that have had engine problems, 90% of them have been modified.

Hope this kind of helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmayers View Post
    Hi. I have a 2003 Yamaha GPR1300. I bought the ski used last summer. It only had 39 hours on it when i got it. First day i had the ski on the water it seized up on me within the first 45 minutes. the guy that i got it from said they rode it for one summer when he first got it then put it in storage until i bought it from him. Why are these ski's seizing up so much. and also i have a buddy that has 1300 with the riva stage 2 kit and he has had the head crack on it twice. can anyone give me some ideas and answer? Let me know. THANKS!
    Start by pulling the head and taking some pictures. I'm sure we can help you thru it and keep ya out of the dealerships.

Where ya located??

thanks for the help.

i test drove the ski for about 15 minutes before i bought it and it ran fine. or alteast i thought so. i had never ridden a 1300 before so i didnt know how fast it was and the ski only went 55mph by the jetski speedometer. when i got it back to the river for the first real ride i was riding for about 45 minutes and the ski started acting sluggesh and then seized up. my dad use to have a jetski shop and use to modify the pro ski's so when i got the ski home we pulled the motor out and completely pulled it apart. the third cylinder was beat to peices and the piston broke apart from the crankshaft. my dad said out of all the years of working on ski's he had never seen anything that bad. we could tell when we took the motor apart that we were the first ones to have it out of the hull so the previous owner did not try fixing it. he bought two new ski's so thats why he put it in storage. Also the ski is completely stock. my dad has never modified a ski with fuel injection so he told me to find out everything and if its worth trying to fix. when we put the ski back together we do plan on modifieing it. we are going to blueprint the engine and put the riva stage 2 kit on it and a couple more parts. we are going to take the oil injection off. im hoping to have the ski running about 75mph.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

ill post some pictures of the piston and cylinder soon. you all will get a kick out of it. the piston has a whole about the size of a golf ball in the top of it.

Im located in Richmond, Virginia

Once you get it back up and running , you will want to replace the stock inserts that hold the pump shoe in place with newer inserts. The inserts on the 2003 have been known to pull through the hull. Also, this is a good time to reinforce your pump tunnel - stock ones are also known to crack. Jerry carries a good one here in his store:

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=728

With the right mods, 75mph won't be a problem. Search through the forum, there is a lot of great information here.

I'm bettin a weeks pay that ski had seized before you ever set eyes on it. Your first ride, 55 mph, way below par. Your second ride, once the engine got hot it seized again.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Thats what i was thinking... usually the dreamometer is higher than real speed... that ride was probably closer to 50.... that ski went what 65 ish from the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by VOODOO View Post
    I'm bettin a weeks pay that ski had seized before you ever set eyes on it. Your first ride, 55 mph, way below par. Your second ride, once the engine got hot it seized again.

+1
    it definently was siezing when you first got it. he ripped you off but a test ride should of gave it away but you didnt know. you said a hole on the top of the piston? im not sure as i havent had that happen but someone will chime in when pictures come but im thinkin powervalve dropped and hit piston. Yes its definently worth fixing. there easy to fix in my opinion.

Chances are if there is a golf ball size hole in the top of the piston, it was because that thing got very hot....possibly lack of oil...maybe a oil line came off the cylinder....who knows. Post some pics. I doubt it was a dropped valve though.

-Jon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information