valve/head cover

Couple of stupid questions. What is the air suction valves that people are blocking off on the valve cover? Looks to me to be kawi's answer to a pcv valve. If this is what it is it could have adverse effects on crank case pressure. I know the racers block them off. But is this wise for the rec riders. Kawi blocked them in 08 but did they do any other mods to the internal valve cover that we are unaware of? Are 07 and 08 valve covers the same part number? Also what about the the inlet and outlet port for the crank case vent/catch can ports. Is this passage seperate from the rest of motor and they use the vavle cover for a fancy pipe straight from inlet (case vent line from block on 08 or the metal breather on 07) to outlet at other end of valve cover that goes to catch can with no internal connection to the crank case/cam area? Did this passage connect to the air suction valves that people with 07's block off and kawi blocked off on 08's? Things to find out and consider. I havent had time to check these things out. Anyone know the answers to these stupid questions?
    Last edited by halfassjack; 04-04-2008 at 08:53 AM.

i just looked at the parts diagram. Looks like the valve cover is the same part number between 07 and 08. Still does the air suction port on the valve cover connect to the vent tube passage that runs thourgh the valve cover?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking

[quote=halfassjack;593071]Couple of stupid questions. What is the air suction valves that people are blocking off on the valve cover? Looks to me to be kawi's answer to a pcv valve.No they are actually called EGR valves exhaust gas return, they feed a small % of fresh air from pre charger ( no pressure) and put it into the exhaust manifolf/port to assist in creating a cleaner emmisions rating , much like the old air pumps found on old chev engines etc, as all the tests are done after manifolds/cats so keep some fresh air assists in leaning the end result mixture, with still having a rich engine mixture , just a crude way of pleasing the emmisions tests. the prefered way is to map the engine with tighter fuel maps, as the 07 way will give them a bigger room to run lower octane fuels/and have a safety margin.
    As the best performance comes from running on the side of leanness ( hence the saying lean is mean) but lean doesnt always give reliability in a overall picture, look at gokarts lean is fast but can nip engines.

So a race engine fuel map will always be leaner than a OEM production engine . ( excluding top fuellers etc) If this is what it is it could have adverse effects on crank case pressure.So no they dont affect the C/Case venting at all, they are blocked off as when they fail they will work in reverse and let hot gases back into the inlet system at WOT , were you DONT want hot exh gases, I know the racers block them off. But is this wise for the rec riders. at the end of the day PISS them off every body Kawi blocked them in 08. but did they do any other mods to the internal valve cover that we are unaware of? Are 07 and 08 valve covers the same part number? Also what about the the inlet and outlet port for the crank case vent/catch can ports. Is this passage seperate from the rest of motor and they use the vavle cover for a fancy pipe straight from inlet (case vent line from block on 08 or the metal breather on 07) to outlet at other end of valve cover that goes to catch can with no internal connection to the crank case/cam area? Did this passage connect to the air suction valves that people with 07's block off and kawi blocked off on 08's? Things to find out and consider. I havent had time to check these things out. Anyone know the answers to these stupid questions?

Warren

hpe some of this make sense

I have seen the light. I now see that there is passage ways through the valve cover into the exhaust ports in the head. It looks to me that it is kawi's version of a egr system intead of a ford air pump system. Exhaust is routed into the fresh air intake tube via the reed valves in the valve/head cover. Here is another idea i see that may be worth looking into. Looks like the factory catch can drains back into the oil pan. If there is fuel mixture condensated in the catch can it will also drain back into the oil can. Anyone thought of changing catch cans? One that doesn't drain into oil pan. I know that the vent kit by r&d has its own seperate, and in addition to, factory catch can.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    this is what I am done to mine of late so I can also see how much is being seperated from fumes.

I have put this catch can between C/case outlet and valve cover inlet , keeping the rest of the system STD

I am back in Thailand with work will be home to ride again on weekend and will be checking can then

Warren

Would love to hear your results. I think what your are doing could be a very viable and productive addition to what you have already done. I'm beginning to think that alot of problem of the gio is also the deal of the factory catch can draining its contents back into the oil pan. This is a reason for the extra catch can of the vent kit from r&d. If we can make the fuel tainted oil that is sperated from crankcase air to be caught and kept from draining back into the crank case from the factory catch can is another step in eliminating the gio problem or at least containing it. I started another thread about catch cans but not much discussion in that thread. As i stated in a differant thread it appears to me that there are several things causing the gio and when all the dust settles it should be a relitively easy and cheap fix.

Thread Information