about to be new owner, couple questions...

So I'm picking up a 2006 GTX Limited tomorrow and I have a couple questions I wanted to ask.

1. What's the best way to launch it by myself?
    I was thinking get everything ready to go in the staging area, leave only the winch hooked to the jetski. Back in to the water obviously, now what's the best way to secure it to the dock? Should I just hook a line to the ring that the winch hooks to and walk on the dock, pull it over and tie it down? go park the truck, head back untie and take off.

2. What's the best way to secure it to a dock?
    Is it best to hook around the handle bars with the ski sideways, hook it to the back? front? Is there something extra I need to do for a floating dock at the ramp?

3. Beaching? what's the procedure for beaching a jet ski? Also is there any kind of protective film or anything I need to get to help from scratching the hull too bad?

4. Wet suits? do you guys wear wetsuits or any rash guard type suits all the time?

5. life vest? any recommendation for a size 3X life vest?

6. Any general tips for a relative newbie?

I've ridden jetskis before but never owned one, so I don't have experience with loading/unloading.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by badass989 View Post
    So I'm picking up a 2006 GTX Limited tomorrow and I have a couple questions I wanted to ask.

1. What's the best way to launch it by myself?
    I was thinking get everything ready to go in the staging area, leave only the winch hooked to the jetski. Back in to the water obviously, now what's the best way to secure it to the dock? Should I just hook a line to the ring that the winch hooks to and walk on the dock, pull it over and tie it down? go park the truck, head back untie and take off.
    Undo everything except the front strap, leave it connected until the ski is in the water...back down deep enough to get the bunks mostly wet, so it slides off easier...

2. What's the best way to secure it to a dock?
    Is it best to hook around the handle bars with the ski sideways, hook it to the back? front? Is there something extra I need to do for a floating dock at the ramp?
    There are 2 holes on the base of the steering, made for clips for docking...use a rope and a clip, then loosley tie the ski to the dock...I use the rear clip, because its easily accessible, and when I jump on the ski, I unclip, push off, then climb on....Plus its only for a few minutes while you park...

3. Beaching? what's the procedure for beaching a jet ski? Also is there any kind of protective film or anything I need to get to help from scratching the hull too bad?
    Beaching is OKAY, just inspect the area BEFORE you bring the ski over...There could be hidden rocks that will kill your hull...You can also use a sandbag with a large rock in it, toss it out, and clip to that, so it will not hit shore....

4. Wet suits? do you guys wear wetsuits or any rash guard type suits all the time? Westsuits are a personal prefrence. Most people use board shorts, they are longer...Don't forget sandlles, they help out A LOT...

5. life vest? any recommendation for a size 3X life vest? Whatever fits COMFORTABLY. Your life vest should not inhibit motion in any direction...

6. Any general tips for a relative newbie? Best to ride with another ski present...Buddy system, use it...otherwise, don't go far from shore...

I've ridden jetskis before but never owned one, so I don't have experience with loading/unloading.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Congrats on the purchase, you will LOVE your new toy....

What is the previous history on the ski? How many hours on it? Have the SC clutches been swapped to metal ones?

--Danny
    Last edited by Danny; 04-04-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Faster Than a Snail on a Log mongorunner's Avatar
    i always throw my vest over the handlebars, make sure my tiedowns are off, the fuel is on, key in, when waiting to unload. back into the water (i always put my ebrake on in my jeep before putting it in park...easier on the trans) get out.. unhook the wench and nudge it off the trailer,and walk em the 5 feet to the dock. your ski has reverse , so you can just start 'er up and ride her off to the dock... tie 'er up and move the truck

i took some old ski rope and made some loops and put some cheap D rings on one end and hook one on the front and one on the rear anchors on the ski's then tie the other end around the cleats on the docks...

i try not to beach mine... i take another piece of rope and attach a mushroom weight on 5ft of rope and a float under another D ring like this

keeps me away from the shore... and when im ready to go ride again i just unhook and let the float float the line around so i don't have to tote the anchor around with me all day(granted everyone around is honest and doesn't steal it) if you have alot of lake traffic try tying the back off also to keep it from swaying around all over the place.

i wear under armour(long sleeve) or a rash gaurd sometimes under my vest to keep from sunburning or getting chaffed (if im going to be in my vest all day) you don't have to its just personal preferance. try it without anything under neath and see how you like it...

best thing for life vests is to go to a few sporting goods stores and boating places and try a vest on that you like...

oh yea, don't forget to make sure your drainplugs are in when you unload... been there done that

As Danny said. Befofe you even fork over the cash. Make sure the Super Charger is in perfect order. And if it has ceramic washers change them ASAP before you even ride it or you'll be in for a big repair bill.Please read this thread and dont let anybody bullshit you.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887
    Last edited by Dr Len; 04-05-2008 at 07:44 AM.

+1
    I have 2 sand bags but hardly ever use them, since I had one get stolen. When I have to beach mine I turn the ski around and beach it on the ride plate.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but speaking of sand bags, where did you guys get yours? The Sea-doo one is pretty pricey and the one on Overton's looks pretty cheap like it will tear up pretty quick.

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good advice. I picked it up today, had a tire on the trailer blow out, but no damage to anything other than that rim. I listened to it run, and could clearly hear the supercharger. I know it still has the ceramic washers, so I'll be taking the supercharger off and sending it to Jerry ASAP to get the metal washers.

The guy I bought it from told me that the warranty had expired, but it was a good deal and he seemed like an honest guy so I took the chance. Now, I got home read the manual, looked over everything that was on the ski and I found his BEST warranty card. The card says the warranty is good until 11/05/2008. Anyone know what I need to do to get the warranty transferred to me? I'll search the forums, but if anyone has a link or can tell me I would appreciate it.

Also, I've read through some of that thread that was posted about the washers, but I didn't see a walk through of removing the supercharger. Does anyone have a link to a thread about taking it off?

Looking forward to riding it this summer, and I'm sure I'll be on the forum more now since I actually bought a ski now. I joined a year ago but didn't get a jetski last year, so I've tried to research a good bit. thanks for the help guys

I looked through the thread posted again and looked at the riva instructions so I think I have a handle on how to remove the supercharger. Hopefully I can get that done this week or next.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RitzBlitz View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but speaking of sand bags, where did you guys get yours? The Sea-doo one is pretty pricey and the one on Overton's looks pretty cheap like it will tear up pretty quick.
    I got mine at Academy Sports.

Thread Information