BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1

rotax shims and lightweight retainers

shibby is going to install this in my engine and i was wonering if you can install the shim over the valve seal or does it have to be under the valve seal. if under the valve seal can you safely remove them and reinstall it without removing the head thanks

+1
    The shims go under the seal. You can do it (very hard to do) with the head in place. Shoot Mitch Newlin a PM. I know he has done it before.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i'm helpin jason out with the install... i know the shims are supposed to go under the seals..but what stinks is we're basically just trying to buy time. he's going with a different spring kit very shortly down the road, but we just want to slap something in there so that he could reliably run the Riva ECU for a few hours until he does the big work all at once

i just have no experience with pulling seals off with the valves and head intact... i can't imagine that's too much fun at all.

and i didn't know if you could get away with putting the shims between the seals and springs for a few hours just to get a little extra tension on there so he can rev it to 8500.. that's probably something out of the hack mechanics garage i guess

I bought the valve stem remover from Snap On Tools and that was the only way to get them off without screwing them up. I believe I put new ones on anyway. It's been a year, I don't remember what I did this morning.

it take's around 2 hours to do the swap, get the snap on tool and Riva valve tool, it make's it easy, good luck Jason, call me if you need help. Hey Jason where is my Exhaust manifold to try out ?

Keep the air pressure up on the tank ! You don't want to drop one.

BLACK MAGIC HEADERS hydrojunkie's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WMFwatercraft View Post
    it take's around 2 hours to do the swap, get the snap on tool and Riva valve tool, it make's it easy, good luck Jason, call me if you need help. Hey Jason where is my Exhaust manifold to try out ?
    i should have it soon. . i have the riva tool not the snap on have to get it

If you guys need any info call me Jason, you know the #, just make sure you have a large air compressor, and a magnetic tool for the keepers, they are the hardest problem, also block of the oil passages with a rag, plastic, tape or whatever you have. I lost a keeper years ago and had to pull the head, it sucked and added to the job.

Thread Information