I worked on two assignments in New Orleans when it flooded after Hurricane Katrina recovering citizens and animal rescue. It is essential during times of flood that 'no wake' be made. There are quite obvious reasons for this, it only takes a little bit of common sense and the realization that somebody somewhere is losing their home, the pets or perhaps the personal belongings. This is a stressful time for people.

It appears that these operators saw a position for a good time on the water, not taking into account their selfish behavior on how their actions would impact others let alone for concern for the image of this sport. These articles are posted globally and used as references against PWC use.

It is up to us or our 'community' to self police, moderate and affirm this kind of behavior is unacceptable. If not throw the book at them! Quote me.

09:00 - 03 April 2008

A Businessman who was splashed and grabbed when he asked two jet-skiers to stop cruising the streets of a flooded town centre, has described their sentence for assault as just a "slap on the wrist".

Roger Sillick, 62, was saving his neighbours' possessions from the rising waters while Robert Breakwell and Michael Pobjoy were practising their sport.

When he told Breakwell, 26, and Pobjoy, 47, that they were sending waves into people's homes, they splashed him and tried to pull him in the floodwater, magistrates heard.

Both men were fined and ordered to pay Mr Sillick, who runs a cleaning company, £100 each in compensation.

Breakwell, of Bagpath, Brimscombe, near Stroud, was wearing only his boxer shorts and had attracted a large crowd, which detracted from the hard work that needed to be done last summer, Mr Sillick added.

Both men were convicted of assaulting Mr Sillick - Pobjoy by splashing him and Breakwell by grabbing him.

The pair were also found guilty of using threatening words.

Pobjoy, of Nursery Drive, Brimscombe, was ordered to pay £750 in fines and costs, and Breakwell £150.

Each was told to pay Mr Sillick £100 compensation.

Mr Sillick, who was left shaken by the incident, said yesterday: "I think the magistrates did a brilliant job in considering the evidence, because it wasn't easy, but I am disappointed at the sentence.

"It seems a slap on the wrist and they will soon get over it. I'd have liked to have seen the fines equal between the two, and some form of conditional discharge.

"It was a point of principle. Having been involved in the flood relief effort all day long, helping neighbours out, I just looked at what they were doing, and thought, 'You can't do that'.

"Most of my neighbours were flooded to a depth of about 9ft. The waves they were making were coming in through the windows, with people trapped inside their homes."

Witnesses said there were between 40 and 100 people watching as Breakwell roared along the flooded street on his jet-ski dressed in only his black boxer shorts.

In police interviews, he said: "It seemed like a fun thing to do".

When the police officer asked him if he considered it orderly behaviour, he replied: "I thought so at the time but can see it was wrong when you look back at things."

Breakwell and Pobjoy told the court that bystanders were enjoying the show.

"Everybody was watching and cheering," Pobjoy said.

"It was quite a scene with everyone trying to get a vantage point to see what was going on."

Mr Sillick said many others shared his view of the stunt, adding that his injuries, including a torn forearm muscle and bruising, had taken about six weeks to heal.

"I hope they learn from this, but who knows?" he said.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=231771&command=displayConte nt&sourceNode=231773&contentPK=20304341&folderPk=1 08571&pNodeId=231887