Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: GTX jet pump

GTX jet pump

Hi,

My 03 GTX has a plastic jet pump unit and recently I replaced the wear ring which was very easy to do. The old ring had a bit of wear and a lot of grooves in it.

When I installed the new wear ring I noticed that the gap between the prop blades and the ring ranged anywhere from 1-1.5mm. At the time I did not think much of it but after much reading I now believe that this is not ideal.

I have also now noticed that the new wear ring has marks in it again from the prop after about 5 hours.

I had a look at a friends RXP pump unit and there the no visible gap between the prop and wear ring

Does this mean that my prop blades are worn or something? Or has the pump housing lost its shape being plastic?

What should I do?

Thanks.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Send your prop to David @ www.impros.com

Get the works done to it, which includes welding the outer edges of the blades and bringing them back to stock diameter. The pitch is checked for trueness and balanced when finished.

Scratches in the new wear ring are normal, depending on floating debris and depth you ride. The more shallow you ride the quicker you will tear up the new ring. From the sound of the wear on your prop you have sucked a lot of sand and rocks through the pump. Just a FYI for people you let ride it, anything above idle in thigh to waist-deep water sucks the sand right off the bottom and through the pump. Beaching it is also the worst thing you could do, to the hull and pump.

David can fix you up though...he's the only one that does my prop work.
    Last edited by 96XPSS; 04-05-2008 at 05:47 PM.

+1
    not to hijack the thread, but rq, you have a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Send your prop to David @ www.impros.com

Get the works done to it, which includes welding the outer edges of the blades and bringing them back to stock diameter. The pitch is checked for trueness and balanced when finished.

Scratches in the new wear ring are normal, depending on floating debris and depth you ride. The more shallow you ride the quicker you will tear uo the new ring. From the sound of the wear on your prop you have sucked a lot of sand and rocks through the pump. Just a FYI for people you let ride it, anything above idle in thigh to waist-deep water sucks the sand right off the bottom and through the pump. Beaching it is also the worst thing you could do, to the hull and pump.

David can fix you up though...he's the only one that does my prop work.
    Thanks for your feedback. I also found that SBT do a cheap exchange deal for standard props.

Do you think the plastic pump housing is an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
    Do you think the plastic pump housing is an issue?
    I wouldn`t think so with the DI engine. How are the bearings in the pump, is there excessive play?

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I wouldn`t think so with the DI engine. How are the bearings in the pump, is there excessive play?
    I am going to pull the pump out again and check it and take some pictures.

Pump rebuild kits are cheap. If I can find an impeller for a good price i will get it.

What size is a factory prop on an 03 GTX DI?? I found this on ebay, would it be any good?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SEADO...spagenameZWDVW

Just a word of advice, every prop I have ever bought from someone else (other than Impros) has not been pitched correctly, even Skat Trak. One blade was out (not bent equally to the other two) or it had been 'bent' to some mysterious pitch. 90% of the time even the stock props aren't right. NuJet used to make the stock props, and just like all other mass produced items, the emphasis was on quantity instead of quality.

So even if you find a good one cheap, it would be worth it to send it off for balancing and pitch verification.

Just a word of advice, every prop I have ever bought from someone else (other than Impros) has not been pitched correctly, even Skat Trak. One blade was out (not bent equally to the other two) or it had been 'bent' to some mysterious pitch. 90% of the time even the stock props aren't right. NuJet used to make the stock props, and just like all other mass produced items, the emphasis was on quantity instead of quality.

So even if you find a good one cheap, it would be worth it to send it off for balancing and pitch verification.
    +1

Thanks for advice. I will send Impros and email and ask them if I can send my prop to them. How long does it take for them to rebuild the prop? Also how much do they carge for rebuild?

I am going to ask my local Seadoo dealers hum much they charge for a pump rebuild with new impeller, I can only imagine it will be very expensive.

I bought my ski a few months ago and it has issues, but I just want to get it 100% right and enjoy it for a few solid months before I upgrade to something else

Being in Australia I can imagine I will not see my prop for about 2-3 weeks
    Last edited by XtRmn8; 04-05-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XtRmn8 View Post
    Thanks for advice. I will send Impros and email and ask them if I can send my prop to them. How long does it take for them to rebuild the prop?

Being in Australia I can imagine I will not see my prop for about 2-3 weeks
    Yeah...that's the tough part. I don't know on shipping? I'm at opposite coasts from him, and if I ship ground it takes 5 working days. It just depends on how many days he's backed up.

You'll be happy with the wait though. Once you get a prop done right you'll never take a chance on a "deal" again...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information