Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Primer vs. Choke

Good morning hulksters, I have a question I spoke with a Polaris dealership mechanic and he doesn't recommend installing primer kits and removing chokes. When questioned he said something about the raw fuel is not good to put on top end...what do you guys think? Is there a problem with unburning fuel to be put on cylinders for a few seconds before you fire it up?

+1
    Primers squirt fuel into the carbs not the top of the pistons.

So his concerns are overstated? He didn't go into detail other than its not good for the top end...I didn't think it was a huge issue, but wanted this groups thoughts. I am sure lots of this group have made this change. I understand it makes starting a lot easier.

+1
    if you are running premix it's no problem at all and if not some guys worry about shooting straight gas into the motor without any oil in it . i would think if it's just one pump you should be ok theres enough oil left in the motor from the last time you rode it . but if you have to pump it a bunch of times to get it to run it might not be a good idea because then you do have a chance of washing all the oil out . hope this makes sense

+1
    My understanding of the primer install, was just to charge the fuel circuit so that fuel is immediately available at the jets.

The choke restricts airflow, which helps pull fuel through the carb (to primer the fuel circuit) Using the engine as the sucking device. Since the engine is turning, so is the oil pump (so oil is at the ready as well, maybe even a little more than normal)

Either way, its not the same as dumping fuel into the

carb throat

Your choice, mine all still have chokes. Some swear by Primers

+1
    I think that advice was for "more is better" people.
    If you pump the primer like 100 times,you might Hydro lock.Although you would probably get tired before you get that much gas in there.
    All the primers I've seen only squirt a little gas,by design. If somebody made there own primer with 1/4" fittings I'd worry.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    With the PSI Ski,I might hit the primer max 3 times,All that does is hit the cyls with enough fuel to hit NOW, The crank bearings and lower end are still coated from last time running.And as soon as the engine cranks and starts running you are pumping oil, so the guy is all wet. I really don't think with the way most of us run our skis that removing the chokes are going to make a noticable differance in performance. Now if we were all closed curcuit racing then every little bit helps. If you're doing it because the ski is hard starting then the primers are hiding another problem.The carbs are not right.

I am not running pre-mix, the instructions state "Start the fittings into carb choke hole openings".

So the fuel I assume will be delivered into this area of the carb.

This is the kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primer kit.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	65928  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    My understanding of the primer install, was just to charge the fuel circuit so that fuel is immediately available at the jets.
    If you don't pre-mix, you're dumping raw fuel directly into the venturi, which is a straight path into the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber.
    While the engine is cranking you are pumping oil into the intake tract, so you are getting some lubrication mixing with the fuel...just not much by ratio.
    I guess technically if you hold the throttle partly open (increase oil pump flow) you can increase that ratio.

The choke restricts airflow, which helps pull fuel through the carb (to primer the fuel circuit) Using the engine as the sucking device. Since the engine is turning, so is the oil pump (so oil is at the ready as well, maybe even a little more than normal)
    The other thing about a choke is you can give your engine full throttle and full choke while shuttng it down and it will deliver a coating of fuel/oil into your engine while shutting down.

Either way, its not the same as dumping fuel into the

carb throat

Your choice, mine all still have chokes. Some swear by Primers
    One great reason for a primer is the quicker start. A little squirt, press the button and you're running.
    With a choke you crank the engine longer before it starts and as we all know, the most damage to an engine is during cranking.

+1
    So let it be written, So let it be done!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information