First Water Test Speedster 08

I just put 1 hour on the boat today ,first it idled at 1700rpm which made docking a little unstable what should it be at?.Now I did no wot runs and started at 2500 for 30 sec and then I went to 4000 and then to 5000 for 30sec and then back down to 2000 ,I went all around the rpm band ,but I did not go above 6800 rpm should I have gone a little higher in the rpms or was I ok ,what is the highest I can go to during the 2nd hour and the whole time I didnt go more than middle throttle.Ist there any thing else I need to know or do. Also is there a direct bolt in transducer for the boat because I see it has the gauge for water depth? The owners manual is very vag is there anything else the gauges do or can do I saw you can adjust the speedo on the back on another thread True?Thanks again for all the great advice guys.

They idle a bit on the hi side. Just remember your not going in and out of gear your changing the water flow. So use the shifter in between the detents to control idle speed and docking. Do a search about the speedo pick up wheel and ou will find that the housing disrupts the water flow. I hit mine with a wire wheel to trim and smooth out took about 30sec to do and the speedo is now about dead on with the GPS.

Hey Mandoo, can you please give us a little bit more details about what you did with your speedo wheel...? Mine is a bit off the record on my C180, when i shoot some WD-40 on it it spins freely and speed reding goes up to normal but when it washes out with water....i still get the lower bad readings, i tried to adjust my analog sppedo gauge but it keep reading low.....i know there is something wrong with the wheel itself.....kind of like it is shaking on it's shaft instead of spinning straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoo View Post
    They idle a bit on the hi side. Just remember your not going in and out of gear your changing the water flow. So use the shifter in between the detents to control idle speed and docking. Do a search about the speedo pick up wheel and ou will find that the housing disrupts the water flow. I hit mine with a wire wheel to trim and smooth out took about 30sec to do and the speedo is now about dead on with the GPS.

In my case, the speedo used to read about 10mph low at top speed. The speedometer sensor wheel housing had a gap on the bottom between it and the hull that was causing water to come through the gap and disrupt the spin of the wheel. The fix was to fill the gap with some Right Stuff gasket maker, and now it's pretty much right-on at any speed. (Fill the gap on both sides of the paddle, but not right behind the paddle.)
    Last edited by VX1; 04-06-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
    Hey Mandoo, can you please give us a little bit more details about what you did with your speedo wheel...? Mine is a bit off the record on my C180, when i shoot some WD-40 on it it spins freely and speed reding goes up to normal but when it washes out with water....i still get the lower bad readings, i tried to adjust my analog sppedo gauge but it keep reading low.....i know there is something wrong with the wheel itself.....kind of like it is shaking on it's shaft instead of spinning straight.
    I just knocked of the corners of the mount that were disrupting the flow of water to the wheel. It honestly took 1 minute or less and the 10mph problem was fixed. I was in a hurry so I ended up scuffing the gel on the one side. I would tape over the gel or do something to protect it when giving the wire wheel treatment! Maybe just use a hand file or dremel tool.
    BTW I just held the wheel up for the picture the one I used was a lot smaller, now that I see the picture I want to sand and polish my ooops!

Have fun
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00651 [800x600].JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	66180   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00653 [800x600].JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	66181  
    Last edited by Mandoo; 04-06-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks for the pics, it helps, so you actually just did buff down the edges at the inlet of the housing just where it reaches for the gel coated hull...?

Making the inlet flow more efficiently for the wheel to spin with....that's all...? I'm definitely going to look at it....my stock speed was closer to 36 mph on the speedo, while i tested my boat with another one he told me i was rather close to 47 mph actually (when stock).

So i definitely need to get that speedo reading fixed before i hit the water with my mods, i'll dial it in with the help of a portable GPS.

Thanks for your help meanwhile...!

Thread Information