Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How about an 1999 GSX Ltd.?

Hi I am currently own an 1997 yamaha gp 1200. I put it up for sale and after that I'm planing to buy an 1999 Sea Doo Ltd. The current owner brought the craft brand new and mabey used it 6 or 7 times. It stood still for so long that the engine seized up. My mechanic tored the engine apart, replaced the crank with an hot rod crank, placed WSM premium pistons in it (I used always Pro-X in the past, thus I have no experience with WSM pistons) changed all gasket and seals. I've ridden several GXS but with the 800 engine. I used to own an XP720 and I love the handling. Is the GSX Ltd a good buy? I saw on the website of group K that they don't like to modify the 951 engine due to a problem with an oil seal that blows out of place when modify. I was thinking about a rideplate, intake grate, sponsons and an impeller swap. enginewise I'll like to keep it stock. I can buy the craft for the "deal of the century" and are really interested. But what are the flaws of this craft. How reliable are they. The yamaha I own now is almost bulletproof enginewise, but the hull tends to crack. Thanks for your time and I hope you guys can help me out.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Well...here's my opinion...because you asked...

98+99 GSXL hulls will catch the edges of waves when riding wot in rough chop, hook, and send you flying. As I am a recipient of that occurance, fortunately I landed on my back and skied to a stop. I love the way the 800 engined GSX hulls handle, but the 951 makes it a completely different animal. Sponsons should easily correct it though.

Engine? WSM pistons and rods are the cheapest, and subsequently, they are the worst quality. I would run, not walk, from a WSM rebuild...he he!
    Did he replace the fuel lines? That year Tempo had a bad run of fuel lines.

So now you know. Cheap= headache...if you buy...you now can't complain when she blows...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    A bad run ????? All Tempo fuel line is garbage.

Try 1994 thru 2002... Yeah I would say a bad run, 8 years.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post

Come on Worx...I was trying to be nice...

My 2000 hasn't broken down yet...

+1
    I cannot imagine why you would sell a gp1200 and buy a 951 gsx. Especially one that was rebuilt with WSM pistons.
    Doug

+1

"yet" being the key word here.. You know you just jinxed yourself right?!
    Better pick up fuel line today...

+1

I think some states are worse than others (additives in the fuel) the only skis that dont need Tempo fuel lines replaced is the ones that premix. I guess the oil keeps the liner lubed up.

+1
    I second what 96XPSS said-I was stabbed in the chest by the end of the handlebar when my GSXL hooked. This boat is pure evil. My '96 GSX was totally safe. You can't appreciate how spooky the handling of this boat is until you have ridden others and/or have been pitched off by it. I have owned a '00 Ultra 150 and currently own a Pro1200 and have never experienced a problem with the handling.

+1
    Well...here's my opinion...because you asked...

98+99 GSXL hulls will catch the edges of waves when riding wot in rough chop, hook, and send you flying. As I am a recipient of that occurance, fortunately I landed on my back and skied to a stop. I love the way the 800 engined GSX hulls handle, but the 951 makes it a completely different animal. Sponsons should easily correct it though.

Engine? WSM pistons and rods are the cheapest, and subsequently, they are the worst quality. I would run, not walk, from a WSM rebuild...he he!

So now you know. Cheap= headache...if you buy...you now can't complain when she blows...
    thats what I was thinking too. But the crank is an Hot rod Crank and WSM. Only the pistons and rings are. Like I told before, I have no experience with them whatsoever due to the fact that I always used Pro X pistons in the past. Other then that, the handle is what you say, tricky. I heard something like that too, but I just wanted to verify it. I rode a 1996 GSX with the 800 engine and that was fine. Thanks a lot for the info guys

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post

I know that Sea Doo always had a bad rep. for their fuel lines and traction mats and thumb throttle. But I replaced my fuel lines on my former XP720 with the ones from riva racing (NOT the CLEAR ONES they are junk, but the solid blue ones) and never had a problem. As for the mat, it's a steady thing that when you buy a sea doo, you order right away a set of hydro turfs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information