Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Test run outcome....

Well took my ski out today, first time since I got it from my lil bro. Was not able to get as much as I wanted done, since I had to take one of my lil ones with me and the weather was not the best. Once again I wanted to thank seaobin for helping me out with info, and reminding me to tie down the rear of the ski on my way out the park. Thanks!!!

Here's what we found:

Idling @ 1150 - 1220

Low end power is low

Full throttle RPM @ 6220

according to MPD top speed was 45 MPH

After pulling the plugs we found Cyl. #2 & 3 running rich and #1 very lean.

Also the unit stalls out if I hit the throttle hard.

Seaobin suggested a fuel pump upgrade and after reading a few threads I absolutely agree.

I plans on doing a compression test and check the heads for damage. I'll post some pics when I start.

Also we noticed that the hull was taking in water and was not getting rid of it effieciently. Need to look and make sure none of the line are clogged.

I am also looking for a fuel separator bracket since mine is broken wondering if anyone has one used one for sale....(email me)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlaracuente View Post
    ...the hull was taking in water and was not getting rid of it efficiently. Need to look and make sure none of the line are clogged...
    In addition to all the other places water can get in, be sure to check the small breather hole in the syphon drain elbow. If that hole gets blocked with dirt, the syphon can work in reverse, pumping water into the hull when the boat is not running.

Also, the syphon elbow needs to be mounted up high in the hull, otherwise it will always move water into the hull.

And be sure the intake screens on the syphons are clean, and are positioned in the lowest place you can put them, to pick up water.

The syphon tubing needs to be clamped to be well sealed to the fittings, and have no holes or cracks, other than the breather hole in the elbow fitting.

Make sure the tubing along the side of the jet pump under the transom is in place, properly clamped, and in good shape.

Generally speaking, the rate water gets inside the hull should be near zero. These boats can run essentially dry inside. Check the drive shaft through hull seal (may leak only when boat is running at speed), and of course all the hoses and fittings.
    Last edited by K447; 04-09-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Here is the result from the compression test after running the ski yesterday:

Ok, weather finally got a little better. i finally got brave enough to get into the engine I took out the intake airbox.

Should there be a gasket between the carbs and the box, if there is, mine was missing....

I want to take the carbs out for cleaning, but need some help, I cant understand the manual.....

+1
    Remove the six nuts from underneath. Item #33
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1992-1998FactoryManual.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	542.3 KB 
ID:	66315  

+1
    Use a short 12mm closed end wrench. I work from teh starboard side and reach in form the back of the ski

It gets easier the more you do it

Reember to disconnect the Throttle and choke lines from the bow end of the carb rail

I need to go to Sears and buy a set of short handle wrenches. Non of my wrenches fit in such a small space. I got the choke and throttle cable off along with the fuel lines. Just need to get the crabs off and clean them out. its going to be a days before I get back into it. Im hopping to order the pump tonight.

+1
    When you're back together strap the boat to the trailer, back her into the water, run it and check for leaks.

Had a heck of a time trying to get the nuts that hold the carbs off. I rather wait until I order replacemnet gaskets before I take everything apart again. I will post photos when I get that done, I am still waiting on the new pump to arrive.

Found reason why the siphon is not picking up, both line where partially melted, so there was no actual suction being created, I'll buying a new set of hoses to replace the melted ones. any have any ideas where i can find the screens at a reasonable price?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information