air filter for a 650

i need to know where i can get an air filter for my 92 sl 650. i not only need the air filter but also the blue plastic cover that goes over it. or if there is any other filters i can use or adapt in place i could do that insted. thanks. time to get ready for the summer riding season.

I have one with the top and bottom, and the rubber boot as well.

Send me a PM if interested.

pm sent. should i go with the stock intake system or replace it with an aftermarket one? the engine is fairly new along with rebuilt carbs? if i go with an aftermarket what do you all recomend?

I have a differnt one as well, I can't remember which model it was orignal on, but it was square and open (like 3 connected OP FA's), it was on my 650 before she threw a bearing and it mounts right on, but you have to adjust mixture screws as it lets in a lot more air and if not adjusted will lean it out. More air means more power, just gets tricky on tuning. If you just want something safe and are happy with power and speed I would just stay stock...but faster is always more fun

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smartalec_87 View Post
    I need to know where I can get an air filter for my 92 SL650...
    On boats they are called Flame Arrestors, not air filters.

The primary function is to prevent any flame from an engine back fire through the carburetors entering the enclosed engine area, where it could possibly ignite accumulated fuel vapors and blow up the boat (with you sitting on the seat right above).

There just isn't a lot of dust and dirt out on the water, so the air tends to be clean enough to not need any filtering.

The stock Polaris flame arrestors seem to flow air reasonably well. That said, there are lots of people happy with the results of installing aftermarket flame arrestors, particularly on the bigger and more modified engines.

Any additional air flow caused by running a different flame arrestor needs to be balanced by adjusting the carbs to supply more fuel.

That may mean just turning the carb adjusting screws, or if that isn't enough, changing the fuel flow jets inside the carbs to flow more fuel.

with that said is there some sort of filter element that goes on top of the metal flame arrestor it looks like there is one in the parts viewers. and if so do i need it? and what kind of aftermarket flame arrestors would be recomended? thanks

+1
    No, no air filter. Just the metal sheet with holes, and a rubber lip around the base of it, drops into the lower blue piece which is bolted to the top of the carbs.

I thought the same thing when I got my '92 SL650, sure seems like there oughtta be a filter.

+1
    metal with holes is #2, rubber lip is #3. Neither available anymore. Oh, and for what its worth, on my ski all parts #8 on up have been long since eliminated. (Except for #20, kinda need those screws!)

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N...&P=Polaris-PWC

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris flame arrestor.gif 
Views:	41 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	66437  
    Last edited by delagem; 04-08-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: I'm not wearing any pants

+1
    i have all kinds of the stock type here, and ocean pro aftermarkets as well. send me an email if i can help. zig

Thread Information