Thread: saltwater

saltwater

i just bought a 05 rxp (my first PWC) and i love it. however, I am in Pensacola Fl and all the riding i do is in saltwater. any advice on what i need to lube after riding for a day besides flushing and washdown? What about the break in? The dealer told me to flush the engine compartment with water and spray it down with wd-40? is there something better? all advice and (i mean throw it at me)...is appreciated. i love this thing and want to do most of the maintenance myself, i just dont know anyhting about them...

wd-40, while a great water displacement oil, is not a good idea. It can eat away at certain parts like hoses and some plastics. There area a few products out there, but BRP recommends the bombardier-lube.

Don't forget the salt-away when flushing either.

Can someone elaborate on the flushing procedures and this salt away stuff. All my riding will be done in salt water as well and I dont want this baby rotting on me.

I ride in salt water also U will be fine if U get urself a bottle of salt away a case of wd 40 and a case of sea doo bomb lube ... before riding apply a thick coat of wd 40 to the whole entire pump area prop ride plate reverse gate spring etc etc all over deliberate spraying of wd 40 then take ur seat off and front hatch cooler and spray a deliberate thin coat of sea doo bomb lube all over everything there is NOTHING that can not get sprayed despite what some people may tell U .. (I have been doing this for many many years) spray the entire motor area and front areas with the seadoo lube also if U are noticing U are getting a lot of water in ur hull area like if U flip it or ride in heavy surf U can do what I also do very safely .. U can disconnect each electrical connection throughout the ski ONE by ONE and apply a thin coat of dialectic grease to each connection .. this is nothing more then a precaution again some one will say not to but it is fine to do I did it the day I bought my ski every single plug in module on my ski has a small coat of dialectic grease applied .... then after U are done riding for the day U spray salt away all over EVERYTING follow the mixing instructions on the salt away bottle again there is nothing on your ski that salt away cant get on spray it all over anything and everything then immediately wash the ski off with fresh water and while the drain plugs are open tilt the ski back as far as possible (good time to ask a friend or brother for help) and spray inside the hull with a light stream of water until all the salt away is gone and has drained out the drain plugs .. this is also a good time to pull out the air compressor you got from sears for 150 bucks and start drying everything off with the air gun , this works great!! after everything is completely dry U now want to apply a thin coat of the seadoo lube to the pump area prop area etc etc and inside the hull EVERYWHERE ..... repeat steps before and after each ride and ur ski will NEVER EVER rust or corrode in anyway whatsoever .... on a final note I always try to ride my ski in a fresh water river or lake even if its for 10 min's real fast after a long day in the ocean then I will flush as soon as I get home for 2/3 min's goosing it a few times and at the end one final goose of the throttle so water isn't sitting in .... hope this helps all these methods have years and years of testing behind them PS these are the same methods the US Coast Guard uses on the vessels I should know I was in for 10 plus years .....

Santa Monika, People's Republik of Kalifornia...
    +1
    Salt water will melt your hull, seize your motor, give you crabs and make you bald...

I use CRC marine lube ... You can find it in any marine store ... This thing works great

Banned User
    After riding in salt water can u just use fresh water to rinse down ski?

+1
    I ride salt all the time. Get the salt-away and wash the ski down/flush it with it on the hose. Dont spray WD-40 all over the pump, you really dont need that oil slick in the water and it comes off as soon as you start riding. get some marine CRC and spray the moving parts on the pump, hinges, etc when done and ski is out of the water. throw the cover on it and your done.

side note. dont run the ski on the hose for too long.

Banned User
    Who much is salt away and just use a light coat over pump? Or inside engine?

+1
    LOL, the OP made that post in 2005 and he's only made 18 posts in 5 years; I doubt if he cares any more. But I agree on the bombardier-lube; very good stuff!

Thread Information