Earth, USA, California

Riding a Jet Ski can be dangerous

Riding jet ski fun but dangerous

Q: My daughter is pushing me for a jet ski. Just how dangerous are they?

A: The lure of the jet ski is obvious. First of all, they are fast, traveling at speeds of up to 70 miles per hour. Second, they are fun, easy to learn how to operate and relatively affordable.

Can't afford to buy one? No problem. Jet ski rentals are easy to find. What this sets up, though, is a situation where there are many inexperienced operators on the water.

Across the country it is estimated that there are over a million jet ski or personal water craft (PWC) in use. Statistically, they make up only 11 percent of boats in the United States, but account for over 50 percent of boating accidents and collisions. As I'm sure you can understand, it's not just the jet ski that can be dangerous, but the person who is operating it as well.

Risks for injury increase when riders get more adventurous. Riders often follow too close behind boats in order to jump their wake or travel into areas congested with swimmers.

Jumping ocean waves is also commonly seen. It's very easy for a swimmer or other watercraft to be on the other side of the wave so the driver can't see. Also, if the rider has been drinking, risks for injury go up even more. Over Memorial Day weekend, the Florida Marine Patrol gave 70 percent of its citations to operators of personal watercraft, most commonly for "reckless driving."

It is also important to know your terrain. You should avoid riding in water that is less than three feet deep because if you fall off you are less likely to strike the bottom, thereby avoiding injury. If you are going to be riding a jet ski, get proper instruction in its use and how to avoid collisions. You should always wear a life preserver.

Check local and state laws regarding minimum ages to operate a jet ski, and you may want to investigate if there are restricted areas within your locale. Many national and state parks have restricted the use of jet skis due to the number of injuries and complaints of noise and air pollution.
    According to the California Air Resources Board, a jet ski emits up to 30 percent of its fuel unburned into the water and, in a half-hour ride, create as much smog as a modern car would in a year.

Personally I have treated many serious injuries from jet skis, including patients who have suffered fractures of the arms and legs, patients who've sustained spinal injuries, one young man who lost his leg and another who was killed in a collision. In many cases, common sense could have prevented these injuries. Unfortunately, often those injured are innocent "bystanders" in the water, hit by the reckless driver.

Personal watercraft can be a blast to ride and make for great family activities. If you are considering getting one, the important thing is that everyone who is planning to use it is properly trained and follows safety guidelines. Consider having your daughter take a boating safety course before you allow her to ride.

This column is written to discuss issues regarding sports, medicine and safety. It is not intended to serve as a replacement for treatment by your regular doctor. It is only designed to offer guidelines on the prevention, recognition and care of injuries and illness. Specific concerns should be discussed with your physician. Mail your questions to Gregory Smith, M.D., Sports Medicine, 1250 S. 18th Street, Suite 204, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034. Call 261-8787 or visit

Story created Apr 07, 2008 - 08:28:51 PDT.

Not all of these quotes are accurate by todays' standards....that is what I know..Shawn

Juneau, Alaska

OK to lie?

This from our 'good' doctor's own website:

When Is It Okay to Lie?

By Gregory Smith, MD

The doctor patient relationship is built on trust. The patient trusts that I am going to do a good job for him, trusts that I am well trained, and trusts that I basically know what I am doing. The doctor must trust as well in the patient. I need to be sure that you are going to take your medications as prescribed, that you are going to follow post surgical instructions, and that you are going to follow through with your prescribed physical therapy after surgery as well. Again, the relationship is founded on trust. So just when is it okay to lie?
    Mr. H. came to see me about pain in his shoulder. He reported that this had been going on for several months, and that it was getting worse. He was having trouble raising his arm, and sleeping at night. Interestingly, it did not bother him with his golf or his tennis. He did recall an original injury some six or seven years ago, when he fell on his shoulder while rollerblading. A physical examination and MRI study was suggestive of injury to his rotator cuff, and surgery was discussed and recommended. Mr. H. was educated about the surgery, decided that he wanted to move forward, and he selected a date that he would like to have his procedure performed.
    Then the lying began. Something came up that I couldn't tell him about, so I had to have my assistant call him, and tell him that we had to reschedule his surgery. He was not too happy about this, and pressed her for more details. Although she knew what was going on, she too fell into the trap of lying, and told him that she didn't know why he was being rescheduled and that she would get back in touch with him with a new date.
    A week or so went by, and Mr. H. started to call and left messages wanting to know when we were going to put him back on the schedule. My assistant asked me what we should do at this point, and I was not ready to come clean about the truth, so I told her to just ignore his phone calls, and that it would all work itself out. But the calls didn't stop, and the voicemail messages became more and more tense. Mr. H. started questioning my practices as well as the way my staff and I chose to run our office. He requested that I personally call him back. But I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I was worried that I might cave under the pressure, and either dig myself into a deeper hole, or worse have him catch me in the lie. I just knew deep down that things would ultimately work themselves out and hoped that he would eventually understand where I was coming from.
    I didn't hear from Mr. H. for quite a while after that. Had he discovered the truth? Was he understanding of my predicament? Then, just like that, one day he walked into my office. I don't think that he had an appointment, but he indicated that he did want to talk to me and my assistant.
    The truth had come out, and the truth had set me free. You see, I had to cancel his surgery at his wife's request. Mr. H. had chosen a date just a few days before his 70th birthday. His wife had planned this huge party, and his three sons were coming into town as well to surprise him with a family golf trip to Ireland. Of course if he had the surgery when he had chosen, there would be no way for him to travel, let alone play golf. But this was to be a major surprise, so his wife needed me to lie, by suddenly canceling his surgery.
    Once Mr. H. was able to piece it all together, he understood the situation that his wife had put me in, and why we had just ignored his calls. He thanked us for our help, and reported that he had had a wonderful time. Just this past week went through with his originally planned procedure and is doing well during his early postoperative period.

I would say that Doctor Smith's intent here was to meet his patients' needs and lying wasn't out of his capabilities to achieve his goal....when I read his article that Shawn posted and pick out this line; "According to the California Air Resources Board, a jet ski emits up to 30 percent of its fuel unburned into the water and, in a half-hour ride, create as much smog as a modern car would in a year." I can't help but believe that Doctor Smith still has an agenda and hasn't ruled out lying to achieve it...or else he is happy to quote dubious sources and present them as credible without checking the source....unbelievable!

30%!! Good luck getting that engine to run! At a normal stoichiometric ratio of 14.7:1, an internal combustion engine (at normal tune) simply cannot "emit 30% of it's fuel unburned"...that would be like 300,000 PPM hydrocarbons! Then, to think that a half-hour ride (let's see, that would be like about 3 gallons or so?) ...oh, but a gallon of that is "emitted", so the hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide (not to mention the particulates) could actually 'create' smog? ....and as much as a modern car in a year? And, even worse, he actually expects people to believe this?

Sorry about the rant. I'm comparatively new to the PWC world and I continue to be absolutely flabbergasted at the crap that gets forcefed to the public regarding PWC's...could they have possibly ever been anywhere close to as bad as some people make them out to be? Someone enlighten me!

Melbourne Beach, FL
    I bet he is a member of the Blue Water Network. Someone who would love to ban all PWC. I wonder how much pollution his mega yacht gives off ?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Odessa, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    I bet he is a member of the Blue Water Network. Someone who would love to ban all PWC. I wonder how much pollution his mega yacht gives off ?

The worst part here is there is enough evidence of the dangers of PWCs on Youtube without having to make stuff up. If you have to lie to make your point you have no point to make.

As Pet Dailey says in his song Too much to think about "97% of all statistics are made up right on the spot"

Earth, USA, California
    These are probably like you said best 'stats' taken off a an old BW thread....the problem with these kind of comments is:

1. Not accurate
    2. Once stated how can they best be defended....the defense is not always easy because once the statement is 'out there'....if you get the drift...

I like AKmikes example, it's intelligent and offers evidence that is believable. Thanks Ak for spending the time to write that, its really good!

I really appreciate your open dialogue. I believe that by posting these, it gives us the information about the perceptions that are being circulated and it affords us the opportunity to learn from these mistakes and hopefully by the additional posted responses that are always positive we can share new data or information.

And if an environmental group were reading this, they would see a truth opposing the posting that is intelligent rather than unscientific.

Thread Information