Thread: hydrodrags

hydrodrags

NEW ADENDUMS ADDED 4/4/2008 (The following is based off of the IJSBA GP class
    Rules)
    (Top Deck and Hull) can use any kind of composite materials

(Participant) can use any kind of engines but it MUST BE BASED ON A APBA
    HOMOLOGATED RUNABOUT ENGINE

Full modifications are allowed (crankshaft, cylinders, pistons, crankcases and more)

Four-cylinders maximum.

Transmission and pump are free but must stay .inboard. . and must be a (water) jet

pump type of propulsion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbuck12345 View Post
    Transmission and pump are free but must stay .inboard. . and must be a (water) jet

pump type of propulsion.

Really? I guess they don't consider the prop ski a "Jet Ski"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Really? I guess they don't consider the prop ski a "Jet Ski"
    Yep, that was pretty obvious ruling against my Propski

But please consider this....Before this rule change, they didnt consider conversion skis legal either .... rules change as demand grows.... Conversion skis werent allowed when there was only one wanting to run

in a few years, there may be hundreds of ski with prop conversion, or manufactures may make it an option on some of their large craft as gas prices continue to rise. It may not resemble anything like I have done, but they may offer options for drive the same way they do engines on personal watercraft.

Its also possible the propski will be smothered out by narrow thinking, large pwc companies or manufactures of high performance JETSKI parts who worry of losing millions in revenew and mine will be the last one to touch the water.

It will be interesting to see if this will be embraced or shunned.

The idea for mine was born here on Greenhulk after reading about everyone else amazing accomplishments and there couldnt have been a better place for it to happen.
    Last edited by RUNWME; 04-08-2008 at 03:36 PM.

+1
    David, i believe that APBA rule has always been in effect so it's nothing new.

The APBA still does not consider conversion skis legal.

I got WaterTop, the promoter in the HydroDrag events to bend the rules to allow conversion skis in their events even though it was against APBA rules. Perhaps you can convince them to allow propeller equipped skis.

+1
    the ONE thing that concerned me on a performance note only was would your prop catch the launch ramp gear on take off and damage your boat.....i guess if the prop does not hang lower than your hull it wouldnt.......if the blades pass the bottom of the hull plane and are lower when running then you may have saved yourself some BIGTIME GRIEF anyway..not sure just guessing!

+1

I got WaterTop, the promoter in the HydroDrag events to bend the rules to allow conversion skis in their events even though it was against APBA rules. Perhaps you can convince them to allow propeller equipped skis.
    if its an OUTLAW PRIVATE HELD event like fourwheeler races are sometimes they can make their own rules and his ski should be allowed to run by the promoter if he wants the best of the best at his event! if someone such as IJSBA/APBA/AMA etc etc etc is sanctioning the event u usally are required to ahere to their rules not the promoters rules! good luck either way!

+1

Thanks Jerry, but that would be an issue for down the road for someone else if others do prop conversions and they want to run in santioned events. Right now just sorting out the propski for just recreational riding and mudbug.
    Soon my tunnel hydro will be here and I will be immersed in getting it going. I really am thinking it will be a good candidate for the dual impeller pump setup with a rxp motor .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNWME View Post
    I really am thinking it will be a good candidate for the dual impeller pump setup with a rxp motor .
    Now that would be sick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    the ONE thing that concerned me on a performance note only was would your prop catch the launch ramp gear on take off and damage your boat.....i guess if the prop does not hang lower than your hull it wouldnt.......if the blades pass the bottom of the hull plane and are lower when running then you may have saved yourself some BIGTIME GRIEF anyway..not sure just guessing!
    Looking at the ramp, the blades of the propeller wouldnt touch anything. The rudder however would be resting on the launch pad. Its super strong ( to hold up at 100mph) but I would worry about it digging into or hanging on the launch pad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNWME View Post
    Looking at the ramp, the blades of the propeller wouldnt touch anything. The rudder however would be resting on the launch pad. Its super strong ( to hold up at 100mph) but I would worry about it digging into or hanging on the launch pad.
    i figured u were fully conscious of the situation! hope things change so u can display your speed at sanctioned events like this in the future!

Thread Information