Thread: Questions

Questions

Ok so i took out my ski for the first time this year on sunday. I put fresh gas about 5gallons and oil in it started up no prob. When i went out to ride it i noticed a good amount of cavitation on take off for about 30s or so then ran fine.

Air temp was in low 60's not sure what the water was but it was damn cold lake was pretty much glass ski ran 60.8-61.2 at around 7070 rpms(tiny tach)

I installed a ppk solas 13/19 RnD intake grate and ride plat last year and i had no cavitation all summer and ran around 63.5-64 around same rpms also.

So i looked at the pump and noticed a good amount of light coming through the prop took everything apart and noticed my wear ring was seperated alittle in one spot. Also last year when the prop was installed i noticed that one of my veins on my stator has a good size chunk taken out of it. Would these things be the cause of my slower speed? also i couldn't fit a nickle between the shoe and straight edge it was close but no cigar.

One last thing should the prop spin freely by hand or should it feel kinda tight when spinning it? I will try to get some pics up of the wear ring and stator vein tomorrow so u can see what i meen.

I got one for sale if you need one. the wear ring is thicker then oem. $150.00 + shipping, I paid $250.00
    Attached Images Attached Images  

here are the pics, one shows the wear ring seperation it is in the middle of the pic, and the others are the stator. Is this y im so slow??

Thanks for the offer, i havent decided yet if i want to get the plastic liner or yours, will let u know if i decide to buy it off you.
    Last edited by gpr_redneck; 12-05-2008 at 12:47 PM.

+1
    That will explain the cavitation and slow speed. Wear rings will seperate like that if exposed to saltwater a lot.

If you haven't updated the pump shoe brackets its most likely the inserts are pulling thru the hull causing even more slower speed and eventual disaster.

Thanks for the reply Duke.

Nvr been in salt water, I have owned the ski since it was brand new.

I havent updated the brackets, i was planing on doing the brackets and tunnel renforcement at the same time and also update the rideplate brackets.

As for the pump i havent decided yet to get the 05 pump or just replace the one i have.

+1
    The 05 is worth it IMO. Now is the time since yours is trashed. Don't wait to long on the tunnel updates or it might get ugly. We've all learned its a matter of when verses if.

If you decide you would like to buy a pre 2004 pump I have one.

thanks Chris, i would rather get the 05 pump but it would be more in my price range to get a pre 05 pump. Will let you know if i want it.

Now if i get the 05 pump with the 14/20 i would need to either bump the comp to 150 or get vf3's in order to turn that prop right?

I am going to order the renforcement and inserts next week so i can get that prob taken care of first.

Thread Information