cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1

handlebar wiring harness questions.

Working with 05 parts in a conversion ski. I am not using the VTS, and want to sell the VTS unit along with the wiring. Can I just swap the handlebar harness with one from a ski without VTS? What year/model should I be looking for, or can I just cut the wiring by the connectors? What's the best way?

I can't answer your question but if you are going to sell the VTS system, I would like purchase it from ya! Let me know. Thanks!

+1
    Yes, you can swap with a model that doesn't have VTS. Make sure it has start, stop, mode AND set though. It should have 4 wires. Then you'll have to go to the OEM store and get a 4 prong connector to plug the switch harness in (it's normally a 6 prong connector). If you've got a shop manual with the electrical diagram, that would help.

+1
    so it's not exactly plug and play. . . that's silly. I figured the non vts ski's would have 6 pin plugs without the pins. . .

Let me propose this. If just wire tie the switch under the cowl, and leave the VTS harness loose, will it hurt anything? or maybe just cut and cap the wires?

+1
    Yes MIke, that is how we've done it. Just zip tie it out of the way.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    mike...

there is nothing plug and play... i jsut helped fizzle go through the same thing, thats why he knows the predicament so well.

u can get GTX or RXT switches from an 02-05 unit... but like he said u need to change the MAIN harness to a 4-pin connector and abandon the VTS wires

u can just hide the VTS buttons.... and leaving the terminals expoosed isn't gonna hurt anything, but if the ski ever gets parted out or u ever do use the VTS then u may have corroded nasty wires with our salt water...

i would personally suggest taking the pins out of the connector with the detent tool.. and then take the marine shrink tubing and shrink each wire individually to seal them off... unless somehow you can find the harness cap for all those plugs...

also bear in mind ur gonna need to have the ski hooked up to BUDS to have the VTS deactivated otherwise it's gonna be beeping at u

+1
    Thanks Steve. I think for now I'm just going to hide the unused stuff. After studying it some more, It looks like I would need to swap the entire harness from the mpem to the vts if I wanted to get rid of all vts related wires. Unless you have a gtx or rxt harness lying around and want to work a trade?

I HATE extra wires

+1
    If you ever decide to go to the SD trim, it is no longer "extra" wires... it's a built-in free "upgrade."

+1
    Mark. . . are you feeling OK? The master of simplicity leaving the possibility for electric trim

+1
    Absolutely. Folding it over and zipping it down was the easiest way. I was simply providing motivation for those rare individuals that want to recreate the wheel to make themselves feel better.

Thread Information