Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

93 SL750 rebuild

Hey everyone. Pretty new to the board here. Bought a 93 SL750 off of craigslist with trailer for 300 bucks. The motor was bad of course taking huge chunks out of the top case as well as one cylinder. Everything else appears to be in impeccable shape so i'm taking a chance on it. Thanks to the help of Xlint, Beerdart, and Jetwheels I've really got a fighting chance at this.

Everything is out of the hull of this ski and none of the bolts were marked so I have a beautifully fun job ahead of me. Luckily I know all parts are there. This is going to literally be a step by step rebuild. If anyone needs photos of anything in its torndown state or as I'm rebuilding, please let me know. I've received such great help that I'd love to be able to give some back to you all along the way.

I've got experience with vehicles, atv's, small motors but this is my first time doing a jetski so bear with me. Here's a pic of the beaut.

\

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Did your engine arrive OK?????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Trailer adjustments

Form the pictures, it looks like it sits really high on the trailer.

I suggest you rearrange the bunks so the bunk boards lay flat against the hull. Space them out as much as you can so they mate nicely between the chines. You want to spread the load across a broad area under the hull.

Also, the lower the hull sits on the trailer, the less distance you will need to back down the launch ramp to get it floating. At the same time, think about how it will approach the ramp angled trailer during re-load. You don't want the hull to hit any of the metal rails on the trailer.

BTW, do you have a work stand to put the boat on?
    Makes it easier than climbing around the trailer while working inside the hull. Less shin damage!
    Last edited by K447; 04-10-2008 at 07:02 PM.

You beat me to that ski by 30 minutes! I was talking to the seller while you were there! What part of MN do you live in? Looks like a good find. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by klutch_nut View Post
    You beat me to that ski by 30 minutes! I was talking to the seller while you were there! What part of MN do you live in? Looks like a good find. Good luck.
    I'm in Brooklyn Park. I knew it wouldn't last long so I jumped on it ASAP. Everything seems to be good but it's going to be a beast to put back together because all of the bolts were just sitting in the bottom of the oil/water filled hull unlabeled.

Keep us updated, I think I'm gonna do the same thing, bu with a little better motor.

WOW from way over here that is some deal! I paid 600 for mine that sat in the weeds for years with NO trailer...starter and starterdrive,bendix? kicked almost immediately.Im just grateful its a 750,dead dogs dont pop up often here.Im no x pert but it looks like it wasnt put thru the ringer to bad.
    Last edited by wreckmaster; 05-14-2008 at 03:55 AM.

From what I understand a day camp owned it and flipped it over the wrong way one time causing it to blow the motor. The guy I bought it from held onto it since 04-05 and kept it covered and everything.

Motor is being completed and ski should be ready for the water this weekend. I did wuss out and just let a local guy do the work on the engine (I've been working way too much and knew it wouldn't get done this season otherwise.) So far the only additional parts I've needed were a reed cage (repair guy had a used one for 20 bucks), and the bearings for the pins on the connecting rod.

Many millions of thanks to Xlint for letting me know about the triple outlet fuel pump. I got one of those and put it on along with new gas lines. I also did the oil block off. I'm going to hold off on a new pump for right now as it isn't really needed at this time.

Question, for a full tank of gas does anyone know how many ounces of oil I need to add? I know it's a 50:1 mixture but I don't know how big the gas tank is which isn't helpin.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicCE View Post
    ...Question, for a full tank of gas does anyone know how many ounces of oil I need to add?
    I know it's a 50:1 mixture but I don't know how big the gas tank is which isn't helping.
    You haven't downloaded the 1992-1998 Service Manual yet?

Fuel tank capacities are listed in there.

I don't think it is 50:1 oil ratio for pre-mix.
    I think most here run 40:1, with 32:1 during break-in.

Pu the oil in first, then a little fuel. Slosh it around to mix, then add the rest of the fuel.

Often the recommendation is to use non-synthetic for break-in, then synthetic afterwards, if you like using synthetic. Some feel that synthetic oil is not of any real benefit for the 650/750/780 Fuji engines, others prefer it.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    You what to get some gas cans so you can premix seperately.Also alot of places sell a plastic jar that is marked so you can pick the ratio you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information