+1

Alert! Tahoe Lake Watercraft Inspections

Tahoe watercraft inspections will target mussels

Random boat checks on lake start in May

Sun News Service
    April 9, 2008

Comments (0) Print Email

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE - From May 16 until Labor Day, Lake Tahoe boaters should expect random, mandatory watercraft inspections at all public launch sites around the lake, the Tahoe Resource Conservation District indicated in a news release this week.

Inspections are designed to prevent the spread of zebra and quagga mussels to Lake Tahoe, and prevent the spread of existing aquatic invasive plants from Lake Tahoe to Fallen Leaf and Echo lakes.

To report seeing a zebra or quagga mussel, call (88 TAHOANS (824-6267).

For more information, call (530) 543-1501, ext. 111, or e-mail [email protected].

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20080409/FRONTPAGE/261371875

+1

Boaters can prevent spread of mussels

Boaters can prevent spread of mussels

Wednesday, April 09, 2008
    Zebra and quagga mussels are freshwater bivalve mollusks that typically have a dark and white, zebralike pattern on their shells. Although they are separate species, their differences are so subtle researchers often refer to them simply as “zebra-type” mussels.
    The adults of both species are usually about an inch or shorter but may be larger. They differ from native mussels by attaching to hard surfaces by using hair-like threads. They pose trouble because when they are found, there usually are millions of them.
    It’s the responsibility of each boat owner to make sure his or her craft is clean of invasive mussels.
    While much of the prevention emphasis is aimed on boats that stay in the water for long periods of time (houseboats, for example), any watercraft (including personal watercraft, canoes and kayaks) can spread invasive mussels.
    When taking your equipment out of the water:
    • Drain the water from your motor, live well and bilge on land before leaving the immediate area of the lake.
    • Carefully inspect your vessel and trailer, removing any visible mussels, but also feel for any rough or gritty spots on the hull. These may be young mussels that can be hard to see.
    Before driving out of the local community:
    • Flush the motor and bilges with hot soapy water or a solution with 5 percent household bleach.
    • Clean and wash your trailer, truck or any other equipment that comes in contact with lake water.
    When you return home:
    • Air-dry the boat and other equipment for at least five days before launching in any other waterway.
    • Do not reuse bait once it has been exposed to infested waters and allow all fishing tackle to air-dry for five days before fishing in other lakes and streams.
    Additional information can be found at the www.protectyourwaters.net and www.100thMeridian.org.

E-mail Dave Buchanan at [email protected].

are those mussels edible....I have a killer recipe for those things, good protein source. roast them in garlic and butter, a sprinkle of parmasean cheese and choped green onions and BEER.....Oh and a dash of lemon...YUM!

+1
    A while back I think I started a thread on how to cook them, we were going to make a cookbook on Zebras and Quaggas!
    HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by shawn alladio View Post
    A while back I think I started a thread on how to cook them, we were going to make a cookbook on Zebras and Quaggas!
    HAHA
    HI, there Sweetheart, we missed ya here! are you back in US soil now. So are those edible? Do they taste like the Australian mussels?

+1
    Last year on the way home from the Bug the state border line checkpoint stoped me and inspected my skis.

Thread Information