Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

which cooling rail?

which cooling rail should i use for my 92 sl 650? i have one that i think i got of ebay a while back but i am not sure what year or model it was for i have attached a pic to help. so should i use the one in the first picture which i belive is a newer one or the one thats on there (second pic) thanks
    Last edited by smartalec_87; 04-10-2008 at 12:14 AM. Reason: forgot pics

sorry forgot pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 160.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	66774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 146.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	66775  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is there a sticker on the eBay unit?
    If the numbers are still readable, it should tell you what engine type it came from.

I have the same original cooling rail as you. Grow what I can see/understand yhelater models just have thethsrmostat built In to the rail while we have a seperate thermostat housing. The t-stat housing looks like a little black box connecting to the exhaust exit and you cooling rail. Hope this helps!! I'm sure you can switch completely as long as you take out the original cooling rail AND the seperate t-stat housing to be replaced with the new cooling rail/t-stat housing.

Good luck I hope I helped a little.

I would run the 750 bar and loose all the 650 stuff Ie the cooling rail and tstat remote housing then just put a straight barbed fitting were the t is from the pisser! also check or remove the tstat and popoff spring in the 750 housing for functionality

Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    I would run the 750 bar and loose all the 650 stuff Ie the cooling rail and tstat remote housing then just put a straight barbed fitting were the t is from the pisser! also check or remove the tstat and popoff spring in the 750 housing for functionality

+1

so then that one is a 750 coolig rail? the ser # is 9600273 and the prod # is ec780pwe0213156. so if i install that rail how do i check it for function and what should i do about the extra connecter on there? it is the white one in the pic? thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smartalec_87 View Post
    ...prod# is ec780pwe0213156 = 780 Fuji engine

...if i install that rail how do i check it for function and what should i do about the extra connector on there? it is the white one in the pic
    The white connector is for the Polaris engine back flush kit.

The other half of the connector kit connects to a garden hose, then when you snap the two together, it opens the internal valve, and water flows through the engine in reverse of the normal water flow direction.

This forces sand or other junk back out of the cooling system. Many use this same connection to run the engine on the hose while testing.

Be aware that the water flow to the forward cylinder is much less than normal in-the-water running, so limit the time spent running on the hose with the flush kit.

so that is a flush kit i can run with the ski out of the water? where can i get the other half of the kit and? what should i do with the flush kit that i have on there already here is the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 149.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	67051  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smartalec_87 View Post
    so that is a flush kit I can run with the ski out of the water?
    where can i get the other half of the kit and?
    what should i do with the flush kit that i have on there already here is the pics
    You might be able to buy the garden hose half of the flush kit somewhere, or just buy the whole kit.

The hose connection in your photo looks like it is tee'd into the cooling water supply line from the jet pump nozzle. That fitting would supply water in the normal flow direction, so it is not for back flushing, but for normal cooling flow while on the hose (so the front cylinder should run at normal temperatures, even on the hose).

That said, one would have to ensure that the hose water flow was not going mostly out of the jet pump, rather than through the engine. Perhaps the previous owner used a clamp or somehow restricted water from exiting out the jet pump cooling inlet.

Always remember that you should not run the engine on the hose for more than a minute or two, as the through-hull bearings and pump stator bearings can overheat. Make sure the through hull bearing is properly greased.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information